TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Jul 15, 2009

33rd Milo Marathon - PART 2

The first kilometer started very, very, very slowly.
There were more than 1000 runners squeezed at the start. We were somewhere at the middle.
The spacing in between was so tight that everybody else at the front needed to start running before we could start jogging.

It was jam packed at the starting line. The cameras help it tighten even more as everyone else who sees a camera in front of them cherishes the moment, slows a little bit more and flashes a smile of confidence and joy.

It took me around ten minutes before I could sweat and heat up to my running pace. I reached the first kilometer and there was a drinking station already.

I passed. I thought I didn't need it that early and I was just be running with extra weight in my belly. When I saw the Gatorade station at about the second kilometer of the run, I was a little hesitant to drink. Am I thirsty yet? Probably not. But then, man come 'on.. It's Gatorade. I began to think of a little refreshment, a little tasty drink won't hurt right? So I stopped for a drink.

If it was another water station, I thought I would have passed again. Hehehe. I was running fast (relative to my normal pace), so I'm wondering where would the 3rd kilometer be? Am I at the 3rd kilometer yet, Please say so as I'm getting more and more tired by the second.

Seconds past, minutes past.. No sign of the 3rd kilometer post yet. I just kept my faster pace.

And when I finally reached the 3rd kilometer post, I felt sad and worried? Only now? I'm already breathing hard and sweating a lot. I was worried I would gas out before I could even reach the 5th kilometer of the run.


[Overpass Run]
And then came the overpass. It's a climb. I was passing by tens of runners (every 20 steps) before the 3rd kilometer post. At the overpass, people started to catch up with me and I could only pass by one, two maybe three runners.

It was a struggle.
Yet it was a lot of fun.
If I were alone running, I would have walked at that overpass and took my time. But the smiling faces and struggling faces and the determined faces of my fellow Milo Runners kept my legs running. The faster runners were already going back to the starting line, I am still struggling to reach the halfway mark. :(

The 5th kilometer was a joy.
Wow, I'm already at the halfway mark. I wanted to raise my hands and shout (as if I sank the winning three-point shot at the closing seconds of a basketball game). I was all pumped up, I felt like I had a new set of fresh legs to run with. :)

At the halfway mark, we're given a yellow knot. It was a mark that you've crossed the halfway mark and you can go back to the starting line to finish the race. I put it around my neck. It was more than a mark to me at that point, it was a crowning glory. :)

I was already at the halfway mark and now's the part to finish the race. I'm going back to the starting line (where the finish line also is). Yehey!

The feeling was totally reversed:
When I saw runners already going back and I was still struggling to reach the halfway point, I was a little sad and troubled. When I reached the halfway mark and already going back and saw runners still struggling to reach the half, I was excited and revived.

That excited and revived feeling lasted until the 7th kilometer.
Three more kilometers to go!

Say what? 3 KILOMETERS???
The number weakened by spirit.
I cannot sustain my pace for another 3 kilometers, I thought.

So I ran slower, too slow actually.
Now runners start to overtake me and I couldn't help but run slow. :(

I tried to argue with my body that I have a goal to reach, a personal time record to break. I wanted to finish the race below the 50-minute mark. It was all futile as I continued to run slowly until the last kilometer mark.

[Last Km struggle]
The slow paced run helped me conserve energy towards the end of the race.
Seeing the last kilometer mark, I sprinted my way to the finish line.
I was swinging my hands freely.

(But not so freely due to the bruises on my armpit caused the size of the Milo Singlet. I took the Large Size, but my big body demands an XL perhaps. Hehehe. My armpit was always in contact with the clothing and the friction bruised my armpit enough that it hurts. Ouch!)

Never mind the armpit, I'm at the last kilometer of the race.
Go forward! Faster! Faster!

I was smiling a lot now.
I'm sprinting my way to the finish line. What energy! :)

By the way, I saw Zorro at the last kilometer of the race. He is still the Zorro-masked man I remember from my UP Diliman years. Zorro still attracts and frightens a lot of people. Hahaha.

Smiles, Sprints, Zorro.. I was having a great time. Then I saw the green tents of Milo at the finish line. The finish line is getting nearer and nearer. What a relief.

Not so fast.
After reaching the starting line, In what was supposed to be the 10th kilometer mark. We were still told to run hard as we were still 500 meters away from the finish line. Sad, but I can't argue now. Sprint more. Run Hard to the Finish Line.

[Time]
I reached the Quirino Grandstand at the 56th minute mark (over 6 minutes late of my goal).
Here's the results of the Milo 10Km Race. Congratulations to me as I still finished 160th of over 1000 finishers. Yehey!
[Injuries]
Five or tem minutes more and I would have suffered from cramps.
My calf muscles became too hard and tight from the long hard run.
I stretched my legs after the race, but I knew it was still very sore and fatigued.
Salonpas medical plasters, massage and Alaxan FR tablets helped me ease the pain.
Although it really took me three or four days before the calf soreness and fatigued went away.

All in all, it was a very nice experience.
Hopefully, I can beat the 50-minute barrier the next time I race.
Watch out for it soon! I'll be training hard for it! Hehehe.

So long, Stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment