TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Jul 10, 2009

33rd Milo Marathon

It was my second marathon run.
Oops, technically, it is not a marathon run, pardon the word.
It was my second 10Km run. That's much better.

I stayed at my condo for this weekend to be able to join the Milo Marathon.
Yeah, I kinda missed my family and my girl back at the province, but
sometimes, you just have to give up a little sacrifice.

I prepared for 3 full weeks to complete my second 10km run.
I knew it's tough, I knew it's gonna be hell on my legs for the last 5 kilometer of the race.
So I knew I better come prepared.

My first 10Km run, at The Fort, I finished at exactly 56:00 minutes.
That's a pace of 5.6 minute per kilometer.
To win, you probably need to run at a stunning pace of 3minute per kilometer.
Hehehe, But I'm not there to win, I'm there for an experience.
To finish the race, yeah, that's practically it! Finish the leg-punishing race.

This time, it's not just about finishing the race.
It's about setting a personal record.
I finished it 56 minutes the last time, I better beat my own time and finish below 50 minutes.

So I prepared myself for that goal.
I ran 3 times a week at the condo rooftop.
I started running for 12 minutes non-stop.
Then days later, I could do 15, then 20, then 24 minutes.
A week before the race, I could do 30.
Days before the race, I could do 40 minutes.

When I'm not running at the rooftop, I'm at the boxing gym honing my boxing skills.
It still helps me prepare for the run, because boxing is a lot of stamina-building routines.

The night before the race, at the condo, I couldn't sleep.
Hehehe, actually, it's more like, I wouldn't want to sleep.
I'm trying to become the champion of 18-hole Fantasy Golf Tournament on my PSP.
I failed, and realized it was almost 2am in the morning.

I have to wake up before 4am since my running buddies and I plan to go to
Quirino Granstand, Manila before 5am. The 10Km race starts at 6am.

I did not prepare for my breakfast.
When I woke up at 3:50am, I took a shower, changed clothes and
struggled to buy anything for breakfast.
Finally, I settled for a hot cup of Milo and some slices of Gardenia Loaf Bread,
(walang palaman).

Fortunately for me, I have the power behind my legs on race day.
No ill effects of "puyat" and though I did not fully energized my body with a heavy breakfast,
I was able to finish the race.

It was a lot fun.
Thousands of runners flocked the streets for the Milo Run.
Students, sweethearts and partners, employees, oldies, sexy ladies, macho men, you name it,
every people from all ages and walks of life were there.

I started from the Starting Line with my boss and her sister together with a lot runners.
Everyone's eagerly anticipating for the starting signal (let the gun be fired).
There was MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando, Manila Mayor Fred Lim, the Milo Marathon officials,
the race volunteers (who gives water and gatorade along the race, some directs you where to go).

[To be continued ...]

No comments:

Post a Comment