TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Sep 25, 2009

21 Days to a Half Marathon

My 21-day Half Marathon Training Plan

The Planning Stage:

I am already on my 11th week of training after three 10K races and a 10Mile race last Sunday. So I have a 10-week training base and a 200++ kilometers of running mileage before this marathon training. My marathon training kicks off this Sunday, August 30. The Half Marathon will be on September 20.


The Results:


I finished 19th overall. My official time was 1:24:14 hours. I was 16th among 379 male 21K runners. There were 421 runners overall for the 21Km distance. It was a very successful race for me though the race distance was reportedly short of 3Km. Even so, I still improved from my Botak 10-Mile 5:00 min/km pace race to a 4:40 min/km pace at the Rota Run 21K race.

I want to keep this entry as a good basis for my future half marathons. So without any more blah blahs.. Here, once again, is the training schedule that did it for me.

Looking Back at the Hard Work:

Week #11 (August 30) Recovery Week 
  • Monday to Saturday, REST
  • Sunday, 15Km Long Run + Core Drills
  • Weekly Summary: Minutes: 100, Mileage: 15 Km
Week #12 (August 31 - Sept 6) Training Week
  • Tuesday, 11Km Interval Run + Core Drills
  • Thursday, 11Km Tempo Run + Core Drills
  • Friday, CROSS TRAIN: Jump Ropes + Punching Bag
  • Sunday, 2-hour Easy Long Run (15km) + Core Drills
  • Weekly Summary: Minutes: 280, Mileage: 37 Km
Week #13 (Sept 7 - 13) Training Week
  • Tuesday, 12Km Easy Run in the rain ;)
  • Thursday, 16Km Tempo Run + Core Drills
  • Friday,  CROSS TRAIN: Jump Ropes + Punching Bag
  • RE-SCHED: Monday, 21Km Race Simulation Run
  • Weekly Summary: Minutes: 293, Mileage: 49 Km
Week #14 (Sept 14 - 20) Light Training towards Race Day
  • Wednesday, 12Km Tempo Run + Core Drills
  • Thursday, 8Km Easy Run + Core Drills
  • Friday and Saturday are now REST days before the Sunday Race.
  • Sunday, 21Km Race
  • Weekly Summary: Minutes: 192, Mileage: 41Km

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on taking 16th place at Rota! Even if you could just retro-adjust your time to compensate for that 3k, a sub-5 pace on a 21k or 17k for that matter is outstanding. Terrific job, and thanks for sharing your training program, newbie runners are sure to benefit from it. Keep it up and good luck on your future races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Luis. =)

    Nagulat nga den ako na nakayanan ko yun sub-5 all throughout. I really hope I could keep performing well nga. Sana.

    About "sharing your training program, newbie runners are sure to benefit from it." -- I'd like this to be one of the major features of this blog. Maging isang site kung saan maraming matutunan ang isang runner (to be more competitive, training workouts and schedule, running tips, etc.)

    Kaya den mas inspire akong makipag-karera.. kasi yung isang way para masabi ko na effective yung mga sinusulat ko dito. ;)

    ReplyDelete