TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Sep 15, 2009

Titiklop Na Lang?

Hinihingal ka lang
May oras pang natitira
Kahit parang ang layo pa
Habol

***

"Para sa'n pang mga galos mo kung titiklop ka lang, (titklop ka lang)?" - Sponge Cola

I like the message of this song. And I would like this to be the inspirational song playing in my head this Sunday. On the Half Marathon, I will remind myself "Para sa'n pang paghihirap mo kung titiklop ka lang?." :D

First things first, I still have to finish my training and preparations. As much as I want this week to be on LIGHT TRAINING mode, I can't. The continuous rains have derailed my practice runs. The death of my Aunt Naneng has stopped me from running for some days. I have to find my way to be in top shape for Sunday's race. I am not confident of a strong finish at this stage of my preparations.

Looking at my training schedule, the first 3 weeks I should have ran 121km already. I only made 80km. I have to tweak my schedule, do more this week to build my confidence and be physically and mentally prepared on race day. Train hard and the race should be easy.

Planned: 8-6-6 then 21km race. (Tuesday-Thursday-Friday, Sunday Race)
Revised Plan: 21-12-8 then 21km race. (Long Run- Tempo Run- Easy Run, Race)

Still got to train hard. I hope the weather would cooperate this week. Then on Sunday.. I can truly be inspired with "Para sa'n pang paghihirap mo kung titiklop ka lang? Titiklop ka lang?"


21Km Race Simulation

I had my first try at the half marathon distance last night. One word that best describes the run -- Painful. Most of my body parts hurt. Feet especially the mid-foot part where I land and strike, calves, hamstring and shoulders. And I always over sweat. Too much perspiration is one of my running problems ever since. Last night, the running shorts, singlets and socks are all too wet of sweat.

First 5Km - 23:06 minutes. That's a personal best. I am wearing my brand new Ronin shoes so I'm a little more motivated than usual. Nice fast run for the first 5 loops.

First 10Km - 46:36 minutes. That's another personal best. There is not a lot of cushion on the Mizuno shoes as I would have preferred. At this point, my feet and legs are all tired and heavy. I am pushing myself to my limits in this trial race.

After setting 5Km and 10Km personal bests, I had a rehydration break. I bought Gatorade from MiniStop and was very much relieved of the heat and thirst after the first 10Km. I walked for 1 loop to reenergize.

I then jogged the next 5Km - 30 minutes easy pace. I am now feeling the pain of the long run. I thought, I have set two personal bests, maybe I could stop now. Then I reminded myself of the day's goal. Know how it feels to run 21km. Let the body remember the conditions and speed. So when the race day comes, the mind and the body will not complain and just go to work. Just push.

The Sponge Cola song kicked in. Titiklop ka lang? Instead of jogging the last 5Km, I tried to run faster. It was a test of the will. My feet, calves, legs and shoulders are hurting. I am too tired. My running form suffers from fatigue. Do I give up now?

No! I kept running. Kilometer by kilometer. Stop worrying about the pain, about the wet socks and the wet shorts and singlet. Run faster, push, don't think too much of a 21km run, think of this kilometer alone, focus. And while I was reminding myself of all those things, I kept singing to myself "Para sa'n pang mga galos mo kung titiklop ka lang, titiklop ka lang?"

The 16th, 17th and 18th kilometers were punishing. Then I said to myself, you want to join a marathon? Prove yourself. Hehehe. It worked. I finished the last 5Km in 27 minutes. Looking at it now, it's really hard work and perseverance. All in all, excluding the 1km walk, I timed the 20Km run in exactly 1:43:16.58 hours. The security guard in front of Velazquez Park smiled and exclaimed "Sir, Ang tibay mo ahh." He must have noticed me running around for almost 2 hours. Hehe.

The last 2 kilometers were easy. I speed up. My mind and body knew it will be rest afterwards, so they dashed to the finish. I hope they will remember how tough it was to run 21km. And still be able to finish strong like last night. Nde sila tumiklop!

***

Ang puso
Iaalay
Sa laban
Kapalit ay tagumpay

Dehado kung dehado
Para sa'n pang mga galos mo
Kung titiklop ka lang
Titiklop ka lang

Matalo kung matalo
Huwag ka sanang magkakamaling
Sumuko na lang

No comments:

Post a Comment