TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Nov 29, 2009

A Fit N Right Experiment - Did it Fit?


Photo: A Lab Rat's Experiment: Running and Fit N Right

Last Month, I have taken my own Del Monte Fit N Right Challenge. Let me quote the following from my last month's Fit N Right blog:
A Personal Challenge

Will Fit 'n Right help me achieve my weight and running goals? Will it fit to my training schedule? Will it just be the right ingredient for me to finally reach that elusive optimal running weight? There's only one way to find out. Your friendly cyberspace lab rat is once again more than willing to put it to the test.

  1. For 6 weeks, I will drink 3 bottles of Fit 'n Right each day.
  2. I will continue with my regular running workouts.
  3. I will incorporate Coach Jim Saret's FIT workout on my Core Training Days and Cross Training schedules.
At the 4th week of this challenge, on November 22, I will attempt to beat my previous 10K record of 51:19 minutes at the Dare To Be Fit 'n Right Fun Run. I hope to see you there guys. And finally at Week 6 on December 6, 2009, I will give an update on how this F.I.T workout and the L-carnitine in Fit 'n Right helped me to achieve my optimal running weight of 140 pounds.

Or better yet, you could try the F.I.T workout yourself supplemented by Fit 'n Right. After all, it doesn't hurt to try, right?

Here is the Del Monte Fit N Right claim regarding L-Carnitine.

If you partner your F.I.T workout with your Fit ‘n Right fruit juice drink, you’ll see faster results for Del Monte Fit ‘N Right contains the breakthrough L-Carnitine that helps burn fat and B Vitamis 1, 6, 12 that help speed up metabolism.

L-Carnitine is a natural substance that is occurring in the body but can be supplemented for optimal health. It transports the fatty acids into the mitochondria, the “cell’s powerhouse” where they are burned into energy needed for a healthy heart, important body functions and physical activities. Supplementary L-Carnitine contributes to optimal fat oxidation, and along with a proper diet and regular exercise, promotes healthy body weight.

A clinical study done by the University of the Philippines through Dra. Leonora Panlasigui and company has proven the effectiveness of Fit ‘n Right. In that study, it was found that one can lose as such as 16.7% body fat in just 6 weeks with regular consumption of Fit ‘n Right, diet and exercise. There are studies that indicate that 1000mg per day is ideal in helping you lose weight along with proper diet and regular exercise. Each Fit ‘n Right bottle contains 300mg and the recommended daily intake is at least 3 bottles, at least 2 hours before exercise or physical activity to maximize the fat-burning benefit.

B Vitamins 1, 6 and 12 are known as energy boosters and they help reduce fatigue and increase endurance by facilitating conversion of carbohydrates, protein and fat into energy.  With L-Carnitine, B Vitamins can optimize metabolization of carbohydrates, protein and fat into energy.

The Results

The first two weeks were pretty strong indicators that the L-Carnitine in Fit N Right could have been helping me speed up my metabolism. By drinking 2-3 bottles a day and with my running routines, I was able to cut down to 142 pounds, only 2 pounds below my target weight. However, the last 4 weeks of Fit N Right consumption did not do too well for me as I bloated again to my usual 147-150 pounds.

My Fit N Right Data

Week1: Day 00, 147.0 - Day 05, 142.0, total mileage ran = 35km
Week2: Day 08, 146.0 - Day 15, 142.0, total mileage ran = 66km
Week3: Day 16, 144.0 - Day 19, 150.0, total mileage ran = 0km
Week4: Day 22, 148.0 - Day 29, 147.0, total mileage ran = 22km



From the Weight Chart above, the closer the Actual Weight (blue bars) are to the Target Weight (red bars), means the closer I get to my target weight of 140 pounds. My weekly running mileage (green bars) also plays a factor in this experiment. It is no surprise to me that the more I run, the closer I get to 140. That is with or without Fit N Right.

Interesting Points to Consider:
  1. More running.. more pounds off (4 or 5 pounds off).
  2. Less running.. less pounds off (1 pound off).
  3. No running.. pounds come back (gains back 1-4 pounds).
  4. Before this experiment, I don't consume Fit N Right daily. I just run 2-3 days weekly. After my workout run, I weighed 144.0 pounds. After those weekends and days with no running, I normally bloat back 147-149 pounds.
  5. Starting with this experiment, with 2-3 bottles of Fit N Right daily. I drink my last bottle of Fit N Right 2 hours before my scheduled night run. After workout, I weighed 142-145.0 pounds. After weekends, I bloat back to 144-149 pounds.
  6. I was already close to my target weight when I started to consume Fit N Right. I am already exerting lots of efforts for running and other heavy exercises like Boxing and Basketball. Perhaps, just perhaps, I don't have that 16.7% body fat to lose as claimed by the UP Fit N Right experiment.
  7. I did not complete the 6-week experiment as suggested by the Fit N Right claim. I stopped in week 4 when it was apparent to me that Fit N Right was not helping me much. (keyword in that statement is MUCH. It could have helped. In my case, not by much)
  8. Week 5, with no Fit N Right and just resting and recovering from my last 10Km road race. I stayed within my 146-149 weight.

My Conclusion:

Fit N Right's L-Carnitine could have worked as a supplement to burn more calories during workouts. The critical word from this statement is of course COULD. Notice in my first two weeks of Fit N Right consumption that I was able to cut my weight all the way down to 142 pounds, 2 pounds lower than my previous low of 144.0.

However, those first two weeks were also part of my marathon training and marathon run. During those weeks, I had heavy mileage loads that really required lots of calories. I ran a total of 101 kilometers in those 2 weeks.

When I was in marathon rest and recovery mode, the Fit N Right consumption was not able to control my weight. I still bloated like I used to in the 147-149 pound range. Based on my data, my running mileage has been the key to my weight loss. More running, more pounds off. Less running, less pounds off. No running, the pounds begin to come back.

Final Verdict: Ft N Right could have helped. It could have not. From my set of data, it is not very conclusive. I would still recommend a strong commitment to achieve a healthy lifestyle through sports like running (with or without the Fit N Right L-Carnitine supplement).

No comments:

Post a Comment