TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Mar 2, 2010

Centena Run: A Great 5K on A Simply Beautiful Race

Coming off the Century Superbods Run just a week before, I joined another 5K race last Saturday. I did not expect a lot from the PWU Centena Run and so I was not disappointed. In fact, I was so happy I stayed there about an hour after my race was over and marveled at how a simple race can be so beautiful.

Basics of a Road Race

I arrived early on the race venue and had lots of time to stretch and warm up. I did about a half kilometer jog before I came back near the starting line to witness the PWU cheering squad and the start of the 10Km race. 2009 Milo Marathon champion Chris Sabal participated as well as the first runner up Eric Panique. The 10K race started at exactly 5:45AM.

15 minutes later, the starting signal for the 5K race would be given.

The race officials and emcees did a great job of instructing the runners about the race route and calming down the very excited ones until the starting signal. There was no huge timer above the race arc. There was no huge screens in front to show running videos and instructional graphics. There was no stretching instructors dancing and rapping on stage. It was just two male emcees and a loud music background to pump up and entertain us runners.

It was a very organized run at the road. There were plenty of marshals positioned on the turnabouts and manning the critical points of the race. Race officials were manually recording the runners bib numbers on these points to ensure that no cheaters could win - you have to past all points and be recorded by the officials. It was a manual pen and paper method, no sensors and special equipments, yet it was equally effective.

The race marshals were very instructive and friendly. "10K runners turn left, 5K runners go straight." I did not have to ask. I heard the instructions right before I get to that critical point. The marshals knew their job and they did it well. They took control and the runners obediently and happily followed.

There was plenty of water supply past the third kilometer point of the 5K race. Water was also available right after you cross the finish line. Right there when you need it. There is also a medical station willing to take care of bruises and injuries suffered by any participating runners.

One more positive note about the race organization of the Centena run was the well separated route and finish line of the 5K and 10K runners. There was no congestion on the finish line. The wide road was all there for us runners for a mad dash to the finish line. The 5K runners and 10K runners took different roads towards their own finish lines.

At the finish line, free WaterPlus flavored water bottles await plus free towelettes. I had to pay for another bottle of WaterPlus flavored water but it's fine with me. (I was having an LBM so I need lots of hydration!)

The awarding ceremony proceeded as soon as most of the runners were done running and walking to the finish line. Elite runner Ben Alejandrino won the 5K race for the Male division while outstanding and consistent 5K winner Serenata Saluan took the Women's 5K. Surpsingly, Chris Sabal and Eric Panique only took 3rd and 2nd place accordingly. A new kid on the block has just beaten the two top rated and experienced elite runners of the last year's Milo Marathon.

It was a simple and yet very organized and enjoyable race event. I could only wished that the PWU cheering squad were also performing and cheering for the runners towards the finish line. That would have made it even more of a truly enjoyable race. It was just the first PWU Centena run and it was almost perfect. Way to go eXtribe for organizing the event. Thank you.

My Race

I came to win. Seriously.

And record my first sub-20 minutes on a 5K run.

I was confident enough on the sub-20 goal. I was unsure on the winning part. If there will be no elite runners on the field, I could take it. Otherwise, no way I could compete with 15-minute or 16-minute 5K runners. Just no way.

So I came to win with a huge 'IF' and came to run a sub-20 by hook or by crook. There would be no excuses on this race. No more blah blahs about an untied shoelace. No more this and that about the race route and getting lost. No more blaming the marshals. The first time I raced this year, I felt like I've let my readers down by under achieving on a 27-minute 5K race.

I mean, I blogged about running 20-minute Tempos and then came blogging a 5K race with a 27? I know, deep inside, I let my readers down. And to come back to them face-to-face and still having their eyes and ears open to any word I write about -- I have to raise my game up several notches higher. I have taken it seriously to run as intense as I could and give all my heart and efforts for a successful comeback race. It all comes down to one crucial race.

With about less than a thousand runners joining the5K race, it was a very festive and lively crowd. Most were students and alumni of PWU except for a few elite runners I had beside me on the front row. I knew I am in a tough race against the elites. And I wanted to keep up with them for as long as I could.

I had a fantastic start. My right foot was behind my left and my head was slightly bowed as if I was to sprint the whole race. At the first corner of the 5K race, I took the lead. So who's gonna step up and beat me before the 1K U-turn?

The answer came only a few seconds later after the first corner. Hehehe. And I was only able to keep up with elites on the first half kilometer of the race. After the 1K U-turn, five male elite 5K runners were all well ahead of me.

The next time I saw these runners again, they were up at the stage on the awarding ceremony.

I was at sixth place from the half kilometer up until the 1K U-turn at Macapagal Avenue. I was running too fast. I felt my throat and lungs working full time. When three lady runners suddenly came from behind at about the 1.5Km mark, I felt the pressure. I was now at 9th place. Am I going to come out flat, super exhausted and an under achiever over again? For a second or two, I thought about quitting already. I was ready to stop and call it quits.

Two days ago, I had an upset stomach. The day before the race, I was having an LBM. Prior to the race, I took Diatabs. I did not sleep well the night before. Just not my day today.

Then I did not stop.

The excuses pumped my spirit more this time around. I said to myself that if I had the courage to let myself down again for two consecutive races then go ahead and stop. On the other hand, If I had the heart to continue and battle this race out till the finish line then keep running.

I was about to puke at that point. I was having diarrhea. The food in my stomach won't go out from my behind because of the Diatabs I took prior to the race. It's finding its way out of my body through my throat and mouth.

I chose to hang on until maybe the third kilometer. Just hang on. Slow down a bit and hang on. I was fighting side by side with the third lady finisher. The other two ladies were about a hundred meters ahead of us past the second kilometer. The five other elite male runners were way too far ahead of me already at that point. I just wanted to hang on.

By the midway part of our run on the Seaside Boulevard, I found my second wind. I was running as strong again as my starting dash. I pulled away from the third lady finisher and began to look to attack the second one. Faster strides, quicker arm swings, deeper breaths.

When I reached the Globe monument in front of MOA, I felt the effects of dehydration and lack of energy brought about by my diarrhea. I was not as strong as my training runs. Then again, it's just a kilometer left till finish line. I can do this.

"10K runners turn left, 5K runners go straight."

This race is about to conclude. I started to pick up the pace. Just a little bit more. The second place lady runner was about a hundred meters away and the top female was about a minute or so away from me. I could still see the elites!!

At the last corner of the race, I chanted my diggies: Digie Digie Dong Dong Weh, Digie Digie. 'Di' for a left leg, 'gie' for the right leg and so on and so forth. I was singing and forcing faster strides. Digie Digie.

I gave it my all towards the finish line. And though I did not catch up with the second female finisher, I did stopped my Nike Triax Fury running watch at exactly 15:22 minutes. Why just 15 minutes? Well, I only started the timer after the 1Km point of the race. The last 4 kilometers in 15:22 minutes! Yehey!!
 
Post Race Report

I paid P300.00 for the 5K race and I had my money's worth and more. I got a very organized race, plenty of water when I crossed the finish line and a free towelette. They also had a baggage counter and some portable toilets. I knew great races need not be too expensive. Sometimes, you just have to be willing to try it out see for yourself.

Race organizer eXtribe just published the results this Tuesday morning. See? Manual race time recording could still be relatively fast if only people know exactly what to do. Yehey points again for the PWU race!
 
Check out the PWU 2010 Race Results Here:

  1. 5K 
  2. 10K
PWU Race Results: I finished the 5K race in 19:25 minutes.
I finished the 5K race in 19:25 minutes. I was 6th among 5K male runners and 8th among all 528 5K finishers. This fantastic performance just boosted my confidence going into my 10K races and ultimately on my upcoming marathon runs. And only this morning, I recorded my fastest 5K training time of 19:48 minutes in Velazquez Park. My 11-week training camp is working wonders and I'm starting to reap the benefits.

3 comments:

  1. hello you got a very nice blog...I'm jealose... I would like to invite you to visit mine too, I only invite few and selected people to visit and your one of them..It's www.sipedronasa.blogspot.com...you can check also some of it's pages (science and health, boxing, rocking pinoy, stop pinoy crab mentality-this is useful if your planning to go inUK...enjoy reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! :D congrats on your super sub-20, dude! :)

    ReplyDelete