TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Jun 16, 2010

A Patriot on the Run

Hi Guys.

I've been missing in action (M.I.A) for the longest time this year.

After my 31-kilometer long run last May, my left calf didn't want to do any more running. I ran 5. Then hardly able to run 2. And I had to rest a bit. The bit of rest turned into almost 3 weeks. And after the long lay off, I now struggle to run like usual.

I joined the Philippine Independence Day Half Marathon last June 12 with only a single training run. I finished 15 kilometers in 1:23 hours. I did finish the Earth Day Run 16 kilometers in 1:08 hours last April 18. Doing the Math, I did regress. And with the Milo Marathon Eliminations coming up, I am in deep deep trouble of not qualifying for the Milo Marathon Finals.

Saturday morning, celebrating our nation's independence from the Spaniards, a colleague and I went to the Bonifacio Global City to participate on the very first Philippine Independence Day Half Marathon.

Interestingly, the 10K, 15K and 21K runners were sent off all at once. I was just relaxed and chatting and did not expect to run together with the half marathoners. I joined the 15K distance and thought I would move in front of the runners after the 21K runners were sent off.

Caught unprepared, I just took the challenge of attacking a thousand of runners at the starting line in 28th Street all the way up to 5th Avenue and beyond. Reaching Lawton Ave., about 4 kilometers away from the start, I still found myself with hundreds of runners running altogether and packed like a canned sardines.

It was all fun by the way. Running along with different people all aiming to reach the finish line against all odds. It was all fun. Finishing this 15 kilometers was my lone goal.

I did not memorize the race route. Huge mistake.

No race marshals at the first 10/15/21K turning point. Organizer's mistake.

Misleading race information on the race sign. The huge race sign said "10K Turning Point." Organizer's mistake Part II.

I was to run 15K. I did not make a turn. No marshals told me to turn. I kept running ahead in Lawton Avenue when everyone else was making a U-Turn. After running alone in three full minutes, I decided to come back to the turning point.

I wasted 6:34 minutes on the wrong track.

From that point on, I decided not to race. Treat it like the usual easy run. No more time pressure. No more chasing. Just run. Just finish.

After an agonizing 1:23 hours on the road, I reached the finish line. I was so tired my calves were again tightening and almost cramping. I am heading into Milo Marathon well under my peak condition. Huhu. t-r-o-u-b-l-e. d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r.

It was the first Philippine Independence Day Half Marathon. As is often the case, you don't always get it right on the first try. And while Pocari Sweat flooded in abundance on this race, there are too many racing NO-NOs that were exposed:

  1. Lack of marshals at the critical turning points.
  2. Inexperience marshals on some parts of the race. Some did not know the right route. Some were having a hard time taking control of traffic.
  3. Some water stations were placed right after the U-Turn points. It invites congestion.
  4. Water cups were all over the road. It was a celebration of Independence and Freedom, Yes. But hopefully not independence from discipline and freedom from cleanliness ad orderliness.
  5. The kilometer markers seem off. I am basing this on the 7Km and 8Km markers along Bayani Road. I might be wrong though, but it seems a lot more than just a kilometer!
It was not a bad race. But it can be improved in a lot of ways. I hope next year's version will be much of an upgrade.

I'll see you all at Milo in three weeks. I'll be running the full marathon.

Mabuhay ang Kalayaan!

God bless. Keep running.

Regards,
Jayson, the Pandesal Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment