TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Jul 29, 2010

Just Get to the Next One

My Marathon Fall

I still have my memories of my last Milo Marathon fresh in my mind. I have fallen.

And one of the major reasons I failed on my expectations was distance. I was not fully prepared to run for 42 kilometers. I was not ready to run that distance all throughout.

I did have a plan.
6-10-10-10-6.

I conquered the first 6 kilometers and the next 10 with no problem. Just as planned. Yet on the next 10, I started to crumble.

I think that after this marathon experience, I learned a very valuable lesson about long distance running.

It is not that easy to run long and endure.

I will naturally tire and slow down after 16 kilometers and over an hour of continuous running. What lies next? Two more ten-kilometer loops and then the last six.

That probably made me more tired than I was.

I have forgotten the basic principle of "Divide and Conquer". With 16 kilometers ran and fatigue setting in, the next 26 kilometers appeared like a giant daunting task and it made me crumble. And eventually fall.

Just Get to the Next Tree

Thankfully, I got my lesson well drilled into my mind now. I am getting stronger and more comfortable on my half marathon Sunday long runs.

After a strong break away from home, I will hit the asphalt road of Emilio Aguinaldo Hi-way. There is no turning back until 18 more kilometers of running.

But I don't think 18kilometers. I look at the next tree or the next Meralco post and just focus on getting there.

It's a little mental change resulting in a huge performance difference. I am learning to buffer the onset of fatigue and just set my mind on getting to the next tree.

And when I get there, I would run to the next one. And then to the next. And the next..

The long run suddenly was much more enjoyable and fun. And I'm noticing how my mind and body reacts to run fast to the next tree.

Weeks before, when I think of that 18 more kilometers to go.. My mind would tell my body to conserve energy, run a little slower and much to my demise, I am not enjoying the long run as much. Because I am worrying so much if I could endure the run. I don't want to walk the last few kilometers of this run. I don't want to experience that humbling Milo marathon walking spree. I am afraid that I may not be strong enough to tackle 18 more kilometers of continuous running.

Not now.
I've changed my mindset. Why would I even worry about 18 kilometers if I can't reach the next kilometer? I would not let my mind think of 18. I'll let it focus on the next one. And to make it much easier, I would just look at next tree or a Meralco post and get there as strong as I could.

Results and the Next Set of Goals

Focus. Patience. Basics. And don't forget to smile once in a while.

I am learning all that now.  All thanks to my Milo marathon fall.

The results are nice and pretty conclusive.

Long Runs:
June 20. Sunday. 23 K. 2:25 hours. 6:57 min/km
June 27. Sunday. 23 K. 2:15 hours. 5:54 min/km
July 04. Sunday. 42 K. 5:22 hours. 7:39 min/km
July 11. Sunday. 21 K. 2:06 hours. 6:02 min/km
July 25. Sunday. 21 K. 2:00 hours. 5:45 min/km

Easy Runs:
July 09. Friday. 10 K. 0:53 hours. 5:19 min/km
July 16. Friday. 12 K. 1:03 hours. 5:18 min/km
July 22. Thursday. 12 K. 0:59 hours. 4:57 min/km
July 29. Thursday. 12 K. 0:57 hours. 4:48 min/km

I am running more focused, enjoying the runs more and starting to run faster. I am preparing for a 5-kilometer race next, then reviving my sub-40 10K dream and more. But I will reach it little by little. I am no longer looking past the next kilometer or the next training run or the next race.

I am looking at the next tree up ahead and I am just focused on getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment