TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Jun 29, 2011

Week Four of 9 Weeks to Milo

Rains poured. Winds blew. Storms passed by the Metro. I stayed indoors with no chance to run at the park.

My 27Km Sunday long run supposedly on June 19th did not proceed as planned. It was raining when I woke up. And it feels so good to stay in bed when it's raining. Plus it really is a risky decision to run in the rain.. much more risks in a storm.

Fortunately, the following Monday was a nonworking holiday and the sun finally appeared. I was able to complete the 27Km long run as required on Week Three of my 9-week marathon training schedule.

Tuesday, I came to Velazquez Park at night when I thought the rain has stopped. And it did, until I reached the park. Rain poured down slightly again. I waited for the rain to stop under the shade of a full grown tree.

After about twenty to thirty minutes waiting, the rain stopped. I thought I would be able to squeeze in a Yasso x 8. But my tired legs (after the previous day's long run) coupled with the slippery roads made running intervals very difficult. So I thought I would just switch the Easy 15Km (my Thursday schedule) with the Yasso x 8. We have to be flexible on our schedules, right?

Yes! when we can. No! when we have absolutely no control on everything. After about 2.5 kilometers, heavy rain poured down and I had to run to a nearby building for shelter. No chance of 15 kilometers that night.

No running again on Thursday night as Typhoon Falcon passed by. The roads were flooded. The storm winds mightily blew away whatever it can blow away. I, again, had to stay indoors.

Two consecutive missed runs -- a Yasso and an Easy 15Km. I was praying for a run-friendly weather on the following Sunday for a 29Km run. And good enough, I was given one. Thank God!

I was very excited to run after a couple of missed runs. But I was also less prepared for the long run. My legs were frozen for a few days and with basically zero mileage on those stormy days, I had to deal with my lazy legs.

After 25K kilometers of the planned 29, I felt I had nothing left in my body to finish the run. Every stride was hard and I kept complaining about my tired legs. Anyways, I had no other option but to finish the long run.  I had already spent all my money on energy drinks and bread along the route.

My Full Marathon Training Schedule 
Week # Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1
Easy 10k
Easy 12k

Long 25k
2
Yasso x 6
Easy 12k

Long 21k
3
Yasso x 7
Easy 15k

Long 27k
4
Yasso x 8
Easy 15k

Long 29k
5
Yasso x 9
Tempo 12k

   Long 31k   
6
Yasso x 10
Tempo 12k

 Long 33k  
7
Yasso x 6
Tempo 14k

Long 25k
8
Yasso x5
Tempo 14k

  Long 21k   
9
Tempo 10k
Tempo 8k

Marathon  

The key, I think, is to remember how it was the last time I ran the Milo marathon. I was forced to walk 12+ kilometers due to fatigue and lack of training mileage. That was a nightmare I did not want to repeat ever. So I kept running. Until 4 kilometers became 3, and then 2, and then 1. And when I finally reached our house, I finished in 3:03 hours it felt like I ran a marathon.

For I was so tired and I did have nothing left. Nothing but faith, and hope and aspirations. The next time I run a marathon, I would not walk the final 12+ kilometers ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment