TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Aug 12, 2009

R-E-S-T

The last kilometer of the 2009 Hataw Pilipinas race was something very special.. I had my Casio stop watch and I knew I had ran 40minutes after around 7.5km. To reach the 48-minute goal, I had to surge and finish the remaining kilometers in 8 minutes.

That is when I had to switch from my comfortable race pace to a faster high-oxygen-depleting pace. Adrenaline, motivation and the eagerness to beat my own self pushed me to my limits. And though I ultimately failed with a 51:19 time, there was too little left in my oxygen tank.

And I have to pay a price.
My body, especially my calves, is now screaming for R-E-S-T. Badly.

I tried to ignore it last Monday, just a day after the race. I already registered on the Botak Paa-Tibayan 10Mile (16Km) race and I have to prepare. I planned a two-week program to cover 85 kilometers in two weeks for the August 23 race.

Every day was a crucial training for me if I were to be as competitive on the 16Km as I was on 10Km. Mondays were not rest days. Saturdays are. And only Saturdays are.

I was able to push myself to run 6 kilometers at an easy pace of 7.5 minutes per kilometer. Then after 6 kilometers, I walked another half kilometer to cool down. I felt so much fatigue on my legs. My calves weren't healed yet. My body is not in a good mood to run.

I contemplated on having a Tuesday rest instead of the scheduled 8-km easy run. I listened to my competitive spirit and hoped my body would respond better this time around.

It was the worst training day of my racing career so far. After around 700 meters, I felt my body just couldn't and wouldn't want to run. It was very frustrating, very very frustrating. I don't know what to do with my lazy legs.

So I just finished the kilometer and stretched my legs after. There was no more running that day.

I changed the workout plan from running to boxing. I wrapped my hands, wore the boxing gloves and hang the punching bag. If my legs would not respond, then I just hoped my hands will.

I kept punching for 8 minutes and then felt pain on my left wrist.

Damn it. I felt deeply frustrated. I can't do anything.

What now?

I realized it is about time to listen to my body. Have I thanked it enough after it sprinted all the way to the finish line? Have I appreciated my legs enough after a non-stop 10-kilometer race?

I realized it needed a break and rest. To replenish the damaged cells and to the let the muscles fully recover.

It's about time to give it a reward it so rightfully deserves -- rest. Wednesday has just been changed to a Day Off. And so is Thursday if my body needs it.

2 comments:

  1. From Runner's World Personal Trainer:

    " Your training program kicks off with a rest day. Mondays are always reserved for rest so you can recover from your long run and save your energy for the week ahead. Ideally, you won't exercise at all on these days. But it's okay to do a no-impact activity like yoga, stretching, or swimming. Whatever you do, just take it easy. "

    So officially, Mondays have been changed to Rest Days. I now have two Rest Days per week to avoid over training and possible burn out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What went so wrong with my legs and my training plan?

    1. After a hard and competitive 10Km race, I should have taken at least three days off running. Racing takes a lot from me as I normally push myself to the limits. I need days to recover. And running instead of rest definitely is a big mistake.

    2. No warm ups before the start of the race and no stretching after -- big mistakes.

    3. I was too aggressive on my training. I should have alloted recovery times. A better approach would be to cut back on mileage after every 3 weeks. This would provide enough time for my legs to recover. I should have prioritized QUALITY training runs than QUANTITY. Fresh legs definitely is a must for quality runs.

    I have run
    15 kilometers on Week 6 (Globe Week),
    22 kilometers on Week 7,
    33 kilometers on Week 8 (Hataw Race),
    33 kilometers on Week 9,
    45-kilometer plan on Week 10 in preparation for the Botak 10-Mile Race.

    I kept on increasing mileage without giving my body enough time to recover.

    4. Nature disrupted my training on race week. It was raining so hard on my last week of preparation for the race. What was planned to be a well-spaced Tempo and Interval runs became consecutive training days after the heavy rains have stopped. Another recipe for disaster.

    5. Training on Mondays and 6 times a week is fun for the first few weeks of running. It's not for a long term plan. I need to take Mondays as Day Offs and cut the days of training from 6 to 5 or 4. Focus on quality training runs.

    ReplyDelete