TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Aug 14, 2009

Missing Boxing

One thing I love so much about boxing.. You go beyond what you think is your body limits.. You get punched and punished and your pain threshold is constantly being crossed.. You get so tired and exhausted and your stamina is almost always depleted.. You always hear your body asking for rest and yet you fight on.. It's an unbelievable spirit and energy that goes beyond the normal human capacity.

You can see the physical aspects of boxing. Its barbaric nature. Yet beyond those grueling physicality of the game, the fortitudes of the human will plays a much bigger role. Do you listen to your body? Or do you fight on and go beyond your limits?



Lately, I found running to provide the same physical and mental challenges that boxing gives. On the 7th and 8th kilometers of a 10Km race, you're body just want to halt. Your mind doesn't and your pride certainly won't give in. You push your limits. You just push. Period.

Running is also much less expensive compared to boxing. You don't need to join a gym and pay your annual membership fee. All you need is a route to run and a pair of shoes. Heck, you can even run on bare feet.

And then my calf muscles suddenly complained and went to an abrupt halt. I cannot run as freely and as fun. The motivating running slogan "Run because you can." isn't true anymore. For now, I can't.

So I went back to boxing. Not in the gym, in my condo room with a punching bag and gloves. I just hit and hit for 20 minutes. I can feel each punch snapped and cracked the bag with unforgiving force. I miss the days. I miss my coach. I miss the sparring sessions. My fists agree. They just bang the punching bag with enthusiasm and eagerness to show just how powerful they are and can be.

Sadly, I don't have the luxury to re-enroll on the boxing gym. I will miss the December sparring party (Punch Out "Sparty"). That would have been a great show for me. My coach already asked me to join and he had been preparing me for it. I would have been able to test my power and skills.

Sadly, I probably won't. Maybe next year. :'(

No comments:

Post a Comment