TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Aug 23, 2009

Takbong Botak 10-Mile

The Botak 10-Miler Race was held at UP Diliman.

I loved the atmosphere of this race, the live music performed on the stage before and after the race, the coordination of the race marshals, the discipline of the runners.. Everything was very well organized. Kudos to the Botak Race Organizers, this is simply the best race I have ever participated on so far.

The cold water and Gatorade station were plenty. The supply also were sufficient, In fact they were more than sufficient. There were two Gatorade stations on the 10Mile route and I always skipped the first one. There were about 4 or 5 water stations and I always skipped two of those stations. Hydration stations was never a problem here.

The route we ran runs through a part of the UP Acad Oval and beyond. I stayed in UP for five years and I never jogged around this course, not the University Avenue, not the School of Music and never the Pardo de Tavera. We had to run the course for 3 Laps. See the image of the race route below. The 10-Mile route covers 3 laps of the Red Outer Loop.



Pre-Race Preps

Saturday Night. Had to travel from Silang, Cavite to our condo in Makati to be able to reach UP just in time for the Sunday race. My mother packed my clothes and stuffs and prepared my race breakfast -- sumang balinghoy (cassava).

Set my alarm at 3:50am. Took shower and packed my things to a backpack. The Botak race has a designated Baggage Check-In counter. So I brought a replacement T-Shirt, a face towel, my breakfast and post-race food, money, room keys and my race number.

Bought hot chocolate from Burger Machine, costing P18, at 4:15am. At the Buendia Hiway by 4:25am waiting for a Philcoa bus. Drank the hot chocolate and ate my race breakfast. I was able to get to a bus by 4:35am. Had to wear my T-Shirt over my race singlet because of the air conditioning on the bus. I'm chilling there badly.

Reached Philcoa by 5:25am and rode a jeepney to UP. I reached the Starting Line by 5:35 am.Deposited my backpack and did stretch my muscles. I was also able to jog a few meters to warm up. That sets my body going. I'm ready.

15 minutes before gun start, a little prayer was sent to the heavens for the runners' safety. Then the national anthem was sung. 8 minutes before the race, I joined the runners pack at the starting line.

First Lap

The game plan was to forget about speed and personal records. The strategy is to last, to pace myself and to finish. That's it. I only want to test my endurance if I can hold myself for a 16km run non-stop.

It showed. Though I was racing ahead of most of everyone else, a lot of runners came to overtake me going to Pardo de Tavera. I felt uneasy. It was not a very good feeling being overtaken early. I felt I'm slowing down even below my comfortable pace. There were seconds in that lap that I wanted to QUIT.

My legs felt heavy, my body unwilling and my mind wandering. Will this be my first ever DNF race (Did not finish)? Then I realized, I left everyone else at home -- my family and my loved ones just to participate in this race. What the hell am I thinking about quitting? Brace yourself and speed up! That was all the motivation I needed, besides I am running with experienced runners, some of which wears "42K" singlets.. I am a newbie in this 10-Mile distance, I just got to do my own thing.

And so I did. I finished my first lap on 25 minutes.

Second Lap

Wow. 25 minutes? That's a personal best. I began the computations on my head, 5.34Km in 25 minutes? Is that true? I'm faster than ever. I was jubilant. I am flying in there.

I was running right behind Mr Bald Runner -- one of the famous running bloggers we have in the Philippines. I can't believe his running that fast based on his age. When he got past the Pardo de Tavera gate and took a U-Turn, I looked up to him and smiled. He smiled back.

The game plan was to forget about speed and personal records. The strategy is to last, to pace myself and to finish. That's it. I only want to test my endurance if I can hold myself for a 16km run non-stop. -- This is in serious jeopardy now. The way I'm running, I have a shot to set a personal best.

That spelled trouble. My focus on the race was shaken by the all the numbers going into my head. The faster pace began to catch up with my respiratory system and 'm out of control. I was a fool not to focus on the race. I was a fool to go beyond what I am capable of sustaining. From the University Avenue to Ylanan Road, I struggled.

The struggle continues when the 5-Milers began to crowd the lanes. In part, they motivated me to run faster. Hey, I was beginning to overtake some people. In part, they were blocking the way which was too wide to be true on the first lap.

But you know what? A music was being played on the AS Parking Lot that was very inspiring at that stage of my race --- "You can do magic. You can do anything that you desire. Magic!"

I finished the second lap on the 53 minute mark. A 28-minute lap, that was 3 minutes slower than the first.

Final Lap

"Isa na lang." I said to the guy at the Pardo de Tavera gate in excitement. This is what I have worked so hard for. I'm gonna finish. Last Lap! My legs are too heavy now. I gotta push still. My shorts are all wet and so is my singlet. The sweat and water has penetrated my socks and shoes. But there's no way I'm gonna stop now. Not till I cross the finish line.

I noticed a pale red color mixing with the sweat and water running down my singlet. I ignored it, I assumed it was the orange colors of the Botak singlet that's just fading and mixing with my sweat. I pushed on.

The hardest part of the race was my last run at Magsaysay Avenue. The heat is on my face already, a couple of runners was just behind my back and ready to overtake me as I was slowing down a bit. What now? Lacking any more motivational quotes in my head, I just said to myself -- "Just Push."

And I was back to my race pace. When I crossed the Oblation Statue going to AS steps and the Finish Line, I dashed. Everything I have got to go. This is it. You've worked so hard, t's time to beat the clock.

The 1:30:00 target time has just been smashed to ashes. When I was around 150 meters from the Finish and saw the running time at 1:19:43, I ran even faster. Beat 1:20:00. When the time showed 1:19:51. I counted down with it.

9.. 8.. 7.. 6.. Common.. Faster Jayson.. 5.. 4.. 3.. I did not cross the line before the clock hits 1:20:00, but I still finished with 1:20:07. I did a stronger time of 27 minutes on my final lap. That was fantastic. Job well done. I did it. I still walked and jogged and walked again for another 2.2km around the UP Acad Oval. That was one beautiful race. :)

While on my cool down, I checked my singlet what was that reddish color running down through my singlet. It was from my nipple. :(

Blood runs down from my nipple that experienced soreness caused by constant rubbing with my singlet. It was that bad. At least I can now say that I have poured both blood and sweat for the love of running. :)

And with that, I'm leaving you all with my Race inspirational music.
I just loved this song going into the 16Km race.

The Climb lyrics
Songwriters: Alexander, J; Mabe, J;

I can almost see it
That dream I am dreaming
But there's a voice inside my head saying
"You'll never reach it"

Every step I'm taking
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking

But I gotta keep trying
Gotta keep my head held high

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be a uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down
But no, I'm not breaking

I may not know it
But these are the moments that
I'm gonna remember most, yeah
Just gotta keep going

And I, I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Well done. Who knows, you might just win the next one. I've been trying to force myself to run as well but no avail. We'll get there in time. I got my new pair of shoes, towels.. and im the only one missing. I hope to see you soon. Cheers! - Kage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take it easy sa simula. I'm running faster and longer now because my body has gotten used to it. Pero truth be told, I started running for only 5 to 10 minutes. Then gradually increase the time and distance as weeks pass by (Note -> Weeks!). Hehe.

    Take care. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete