TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Sep 22, 2009

My First Half Marathon

Night Before

The Sunday half marathon race at McKinley Hills starts at 5:30am. I had to sleep on or before 9pm to have enough rest and sleep. Then wake up at 3:30am.


Rota Half Marathon Route

I can't sleep though. Lights off while hugging a pillow, the excitement is just too much for my mind to handle. I turned on the lights around 10pm, opened the Rota Run '09 envelope and reviewed the race route and my race strategy. I will slowly build the pace, 5 minutes per kilometer (min/km), from the back of the Chinese School towards the British Embassy until I reach Lawton Ave. Slowly because of the dreaded McKinley Hills. Then build up the pace from Lawton Ave, 4:50min/km, to Gate 3 and keep it steady at that pace until I reach the right turn to Bayani Road. At Bayani Road, I should take it easy at 5min/km until I reach the U-turn point inside of Heritage Park. At the U-turn inside the park, I should have my second win and race the last few kilometers at 4:45min/km. 

I will beat 1:45:00. That's my goal. I weighed 148+ pounds before I slept. I should meet my target weight of 147 flat after the race. I have reached 145.8 pounds at one point this week, but the weight fluctuated to 148. Tonight, I was even heavier because of my carbo-loading dinner. I ate paella and two plates of spaghetti carbonara. Busog! :D

When will I sleep? It's already 11pm. I'm so excited but I need rest.

Race Day

The alarm sounded at exactly 3:30am. I took a shower, packed my things to a backpack and then went to a nearby bakery to purchase hot pandesal. It's 4am, no hot pandesal yet so I went to Burger Machine and ate cheese hotdog sandwich and a hot chocolate. I then took a taxi to McKinley. I arrived at the starting line at 4:50am. Great! I have enough time to deposit my backpack at the baggage counter, stretch and warm up.

I was also waiting for Paolo Carolino. A runner I've met from takbo.ph. We were suppose to pace each other at 5min/km for a 1:45:00 finish. It was already past 5am and he has not contacted me, so I decided not to wait. I did deposit my backpack and began to stretch.

There were a lot of 21K runners out there already. I thought it'll be too hard to finish at the top 40. A lot of them have "semi-bald / semi-kalbo" hair styles and it just made them look tougher to outrun. Hehehe. I had to remind myself that this is more of a personal challenge. I can finish last as long as I've met my goals.

5:15am. I was at the starting line. Still warming up. Runners were already shouting and clapping their hands eagerly wanting the race to start already. The organizer's had to calm us down. A short prayer and then the national anthem and then we're off.

Start of the Half Marathon Race

I started strong. I did not pace with the runners at my sides. I zigged and zagged around the runners in front of me. I really wanted to have a clear lane to establish a steady pace. Why? I learned from my practice runs that my starting pace determines how my body runs for the duration of that practice run. Start slowly and my body runs slowly all throughout, it's too hard to keep it run faster after a few minutes in that slow pace. Start fast and it's a lot easier to maintain that pace. And so very early after the gun start, I was already in fast mode.

And now the hills. I knew they were going to be there to try to stop me. How stiff and how long the hills will be - I have no idea. Do I slow down? No. I kept imagining the Pandesal Route where I did most of my Sunday long runs. McKinley hills doesn't compare to the toughness of the Pasipit uphill nor the Kaong uphill (I thought "Pasipit nga at Kaong kinakaya ko, kayo pa?"). I kept pushing hard on uphills and I ran even faster on downhills. It's very hard on the legs during uphills. And on downhills, you want to rest a bit for recovery and run lazy. I fought that and forced my legs to run faster downhills, no rest yet, push!

After the killer hills, I entered Lawton Avenue. At this stage, I was all alone chasing a group of 4 people ahead of me by about 35 meters. I locked my focus on them and chased. It helped me focus on the race and forget about the fatigue and the tendencies to slow down. I can't seem to catch the pack yet going to Old Lawton but it's OK as long as I kept my pace. I kept chasing.

The second water station was in sight. It was advertised that there will be water stations every 2km. My strategy is to skip the first 3 water stations and rehydrate on the 8th and 10th kilometers. That's how I did it during practice - run 7-10 kilometers at race pace and then rehydrate.

Past the 4th Kilometer

I took a U-turn at Old Lawton. The long Lawton Avenue to Gate 3 is up next. I already passed by the group of runners I was chasing. Time to look for another target. I passed a few and found a runner in a green singlet that had the "MARATHON" word printed boldly at the back. Very nice. Marathon is my ultimate target for this year, what better to chase?

Boy was he tough? Chasing him, together we overtook a few runners along Lawton Ave. I can't overtake him though. He is like 35-40 years old by my approximation, but he seems to be running a lot younger than me. At the mid-point of Lawton Avenue, I was already looking for a water station. I gave up on chasing the man wearing the marathon singlet.

Tubig! Tubig! Tubig! I thought I was running 7kilometers already at a very fast pace. I need to rehydrate. The 6th kilometer water station was not there. I kept ignoring the thirst and told my body to just be patient, we'll get it at the 8th kilometer. But I was really thirsty. During practice runs, I know I'll stop after 8 or 10 kilometers. At this 21Km race, I won't be stopping at the 8th. So it's hard to condition the mind to delay the hydration break because the it's fully aware that it would still be a long long run ahead even after rehydration.

No water station along Lawton Avenue after the Old Lawton U-turn. That made me more tired than I probably was. What derailed my mind off the Tubig Shouts were the vehicles and passenger jeeps that were alongside me. I had to run defensively against these vehicles. Where are the marshals that were supposed to protect the runners?

And then I remembered I was too thirsty. Oh no!!

Now the Gate 3 U-turn

After a long run along Lawton Ave, the route takes a U-turn at Gate 3. And happily for me, there was a water station after the U-turn. Yehey! I guzzled a full cup. And went on.

After a few hundred meters, another water station. I stopped momentarily and drank a nip of water and doused the remaining on top of my head. It was getting hot already. Time check: 42:++ minutes after the 4th water station, 2nd station after the Gate 3 U-turn.

I thought I'm halfway through. :)

Time to do another chase. I found 3 runners ahead. I failed to overtook the two but was side-by-side with the third. I kept that pace for about 150 meters. Then surrendered and settled to run behind him. I said, "Sa likod mo lang ako ha? First time ko talaga sa ganitong distansya."

He nodded and then after a few steps explained that he is not racing. I assumed he is a military man and was just taking an early morning run around the perimeters of the military camp. He asked "Gaanu kahaba ba tatakbuhin mo dapat?" I replied "21K." He said "Waah.. 21K? Layo nun ah." We kept running.

At Bayani Road

When I was about to take a right turn towards Bayani Road, the guy said "Cge, goodluck.. Kaya mo yan!" He did not take the right turn but proceeded to run along Lawton Ave. I thanked him "Salamat!" and with renewed energy took the right turn to Bayani Road.

Another uphill in Bayani Road, albeit a shorter and easier one. After that easy uphill, another water station. There was Vitwater as well as drinking water. I needed the energy drink at this stage of the run. I gulped a cup of water and a few nips of Vitwater. I needed energy but I also remembered too much of it would be heavy on my stomach, I don't need to be full. I only needed enough. During training, after I drank a bottle of Gatorade, I found it very hard to start running again. I gulped about a quarter of the bottle and carried it along.

I wondered how much distance I have covered already. There were a few boys in running attire looking and smiling at the runners. They must have finished their morning jogs and were heading home. I offered one of those boys the Vitwater. The bottle I'm carrying with my left hand is affecting the sideway movements of my hand and I don't really need the Vitwater that much now. Might as well give it to the ones who need it more.

Then I passed Heritage Park. I thought the Bayani run will be almost over. Yey!

True enough, it was just a few hundred meters after Heritage Park and I took a U-turn back.

Almost Disqualified

After the U-turn and back to Heritage, I doused another cup of water on top of my head. I was very careful not to let the water drop on my shoes. I don't want to run on wet socks and shoes. I bowed and doused the water letting my head cool a bit and the water drop directly to the ground away from my feet.

And then I went on. I was wondering where the Heritage loop was. I was just following the runners in front me who were not participating in the race. And then somebody shouted at me. "Huuy! 'Nde d'yan. Madidisqualify ka eh! buti nakita ka namin kung 'nde.. (Hey, Not there. Fortunately we saw you.. if not you'll be disqualified.)."

So I went back and entered at the gate of the Heritage Park. Then another shout. "Nde d'yan.. Sa kabila. (Not there, the opposite gate!)." I smiled it off. The hassle might have cost me a full minute. Where are the marshals. They should be stationed at exactly the point where runners are supposed to turn to provide instructions at the appropriate time. :(

Heritage Park

Entering the Park, the view of the lush green grass and trees all around the park was a very welcome change of scenery. It offered much peace and tranquility in contrast with the busy hiways I've been running thus far.

The fresh air had revived my tiring legs, my breathing became easier and more relaxed. My strategy suggested I take it easy until the U-turn inside the park. And that's exactly what I did.

The water station inside the park had an iced water on small plastic bags. Great way to refresh and to again douse my head with water. I remembered the basketball years of my childhood. We loved iced water on plastic bags for refreshment after some hard ball games.

The zigzag road around the park made me apply the rule of tangents. In one of the articles I have read from Runner's World, Ryan Hall suggested that to achieve a PR, remember to look for tangents along turns - this would lead you to take the shortest possible distance. And there were lots of S-shaped turns around the park. Tangent cuts galore! :)

A fast runner-blogger was already tracing his route back from the park when I was just midway through it, i2runner. He was fast. He's probably on a 4:10 - 4:20 min/km pace. Nearing another water station inside the park and the U-turn point in sight, there were two lady-athletes also tracing their way back of the park. Wow! They're fast and they inspired me to run harder. If girls can run as hard as they were running, so can I. Every water station now is a relief. So I again stopped for a drink before I continued on my way to the U-turn point. That was the last loop cord I was to receive from a race marshal. From then on, the route will take the runners back to the finish line.

After the U-turn inside the park, the strategy was to race harder at 4:45 min/km. I should have recovered from the easier pace and I should be on my fast mode for the last few kilometers. I again tried to run even faster on a downhill after the U-turn at the park, by now that should already be my instinct - run slower and stronger on uphills and run faster and shorter strides on downhills. Going back halfway inside Heritage Park and towards the exit from that park, I saw Mr Bald Runner running on his way to the U-turn point. Seconds later, I saw Mr Bugobugo also on his way to the U-turn point and then later Mr Prometheus. I love reading these 3 runners web blogs about running. And they are fast and competitive runners, so I felt a little more inspired to keep going as I was ahead of them.

Nearing the exit from the park, I grabbed another plastic of iced water and doused my head with it always remembering not to get the socks and shoes wet. Cool water against my ever-rising body temperature - very refreshing. :) Time check: 1:09:++ hours after the exit from Heritage Park.


Back to Bayani Road

Out of the park and fearing of a possible disqualification in case I missed the correct route, I asked a traffic enforcer where I should go now. No marshals there on the busy street from Heritage Park turning right to Bayani Road. :(

On fast mode, my legs kept on complaining. Please rest a bit. Can you stop for a moment. No! Not now! I was thinking of a full marathon. So I sang to encourage my body to try harder and aim for the marathon.. I know the marathon was waiting for me and I badly want to run a marathon, so the song went:


I know you want me, want me
You know I want cha, want cha
I know you want me
You know I want cha, want cha

I know you want me, want me
You know I want cha, want cha
I know you want me
You know I want cha, want cha
(Ha ha ha)

One two three four
Uno do' tres cuatro


I sang it louder and louder and so the runners and bystanders might have thought I'm going nuts. Anyways, I'm pleading my case to my legs so what others think did not matter much. Hey Marathon - I know you want me, You know I want cha! :D

Then a downhill once again, yipee.. faster Jayson. Then it's time for my half marathon song..

Ang puso
Iaalay
Sa laban
Kapalit ay tagumpay

Dehado kung dehado
Para sa'n pang mga galos mo
Kung titiklop ka lang
Titiklop ka lang

Matalo kung matalo
Huwag ka sanang magkakamaling
Sumuko na lang

After singing the song over and over, there's no way I could stop now! ;)

Right turn to Lawton Avenue. We're getting closer and closer to the finish line. Time check: 1:19:++ hours after Bayani Road and turning right to Lawton Ave.


The Finish Line

I thought there were still around 5 kilometers left. Do I slow down a little? I decided not to. I reminded myself that I always run faster when I'm already on my way back a loop I have already traced before. I always run loops on training, once I get the distance on my head, my body adapts and knows just how to pace itself until the loop is finished. Most runners don't like repeatedly going the same track on a race, they prefer to run different roads and seeing different sceneries and places. For whatever reasons, long routes tire me a lot faster than repeatedly running the same distance on repeated loops.

Another thing about my runs, I love chasing faster guys ahead of me. Back to my last few kilometers along Lawton Avenue, I was looking for targets for my chase. I failed to overtake 21Km runners at this point though. I was running at 4:40 min/km pace, I thought runners ahead of me at this point have more experience and are more capable of running at 4:40 or better. I am a newbie half-marathoner. It was my first time to run faster than 5 min/km. I wouldn't be able to succeed much on my chase.

Then came the right turn towards McKinley. The battle is about to end.

The marshal, signalled 6 with his two hands. Six fingers up. I initially thought there were 6 more kilometers left. I prepared myself for the tough McKinley hills. But nope, the marshal is saying only 600 meters left. What??

Instead of a relaxed and steady pace, I shifted gear to my interval pace - yes, 100% full oxygen consumption. All out. The strides were a little longer and a lot more powerful, the hands swung more freely and stiffer than usual. I was breathing hard and I was running too fast. How fast? I thought I overtook a bunch of 5k/10k/15k runners from the right turn to McKinley. The last right turn of the race, the marshal directed me to run on the right side and then shouted "Give way to 21K runners."

I was staring at the finish line, and it motivated me to run even harder and faster. Wow! I heard a the crowd roar in appreciation, they must have liked the all-out high-spirited sprint I had towards the finish line.:D

From the last 600 meters of the race, I was amazed about how many people I overtook. Probably 50. And another 5-10 runners on the right turn to the finish line. As you have probably known by now, I like bursts of energy. I use that power in boxing, chasing front runners during races and race finishes. The clock ticks 1:23:12, 1:23:13... it's unbelievable. I was that fast? 1:45 is my target, I knew a 1:40 would be the best probable scenario and a 1:23 is a miracle!

The marshal at the finish line instructed me to stop, took my bib barcode and aother guy behind me gave me a finisher's medal. Yahooo!!! Moment of glory. He then directed me to pose for a photo finish. I flexed my right biceps and tried to hold the medal with the other hand. Boy was I proud of my achievement that day!! Then I looked at my Casio and realized I should have stopped the clock. It read 1:24:27.55, about a minute after I have crossed the finish.

I then walked my way off the finish area and walked a few more meters for a cool down. I still can't believe the finish time. 3:58 min/km? You're kidding! That's not me. That's terrific. I was really high. I can't explain what happened.

Freebies and the 21K Finisher's Medal

I did not remove the medal around my neck for several minutes. I took a bottle of mineral water, a bottle of C2 iced tea and a certificate of finish on the giveaway booth. The medal still stood out as the best thing I had after the race. And possibly the bottle of water. :D

I stayed at the area for about an hour more. I have changed clothes, bought a Botak racing shorts for P350 (I plan to use it on my next race, a 5Km sprint challenge), texted hon about a safe and an unbelievable finish and refilled my mineral water bottle to rehydrate more.

I looked at runners still running hard for their own finishes, the runners cheering for their friends at the finish line, fatigued runners on the sides massaging their bodies, runners and friends gathering together for a post-race celebration and stories. I applauded an old male runner who still managed to finish the half marathon distance. Wow! He was like just a little younger than my lolo already and he was just as proud of his 21K finisher's medal as I was. Near the finish line, I gave a thumbs up symbol (Are you OK?) to another man who was in pain and massaging his thighs, he managed to smile and uttered "Muscle pains..".

I sat and relaxed on a giant balloon (beside the giant canned bottle balloon of Pocari Sweat) watching all the runners as they take photos of friends, chat and just enjoy the morning race. Great great day today.

On My Room After the Race

I did not take a taxi back to Makati. I liked to trace back the route and relive the hardwork so to speak so I went out of McKinley on foot and waited for a Gate 3 passenger jeepney along Lawton Avenue. On the jeep, I asked how much is the fare to Gate3. The driver said P9. I paid and then stared at runners/walkers running towards McKinley Hills for their finish. After a few minutes, when the jeepney stopped.. I asked "Gate 3 po ba 'to?." The driver nodded. So I went out of the jeepney looking for another passenger jeepney that would take me somewhere near Makati or EDSA, places I knew how to get home. Then the driver shouted, "Bakit ka bumaba, sakay ka!". I rode back. The driver explained it's not yet Gate 3, he'll just take a U-turn (iikot lang daw). I realized he misinterpreted my question "Gate 3 po ba 'to?." I meant if we're already in Gate 3. He must have answered yes because the jeep will go to Gate 3, not necessarily we're in Gate 3 already. Hehe. :D At gate 3, there was a jeepney terminal going to Mantrade and PRC Makati. Ayus!

At my room, I stared at my medal yet again.. then shouted a big "Yeah!!!." This is all I worked so hard for. I'm so proud of myself at today's race.

Then on my post-race weigh in, I was down to 145.2 pounds. A double celebration!! Absolutely fantastic.

4 comments:

  1. great race jayson! but I think your 1:23/1:24 finish was only good for 18k since I read the 21k was short of 3kms. nevertheless, an unbelievable fast pace! galing!

    keep on running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks daytripper. Nice to know you've visited my blogs here. :)

    Yeah, the reports that it was only 18km is really sad and somehow frustrating after all the trainings I've done.

    Still very happy about my race, which still is about 4:36 min/km. :) That's just my best performance ever. Thanks for the appreciation.

    Let's keep running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Galing!! I'm really so proud of you hon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Behind a man's success story is a nice wonderful lady. And that's what you have always been to me. Lalu na when I'm preparing for my long-distance races. Salamat hon.

    Oops wag ka munang magsasawa sa pag-aalaga saken sa pagtakbo ko ha? Marami pang susunod eh. Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete