TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Nov 14, 2009

The Climax: A Tale of My First Marathon

First Part: I dropped my head and shoulders a little, almost bowing, touched my knees and offered a silent prayer - Please give me the strength to finish this marathon. Just a little more strength to do this. Please.
More Walk Breaks

After a little prayer for help, I summoned my last remaining strength to lift my legs up and start walking. My facial expression says everything about my condition right there at Guadalupe. My eyebrows almost met. My forehead wrinkled. My lips moved further apart from each other. My eyes were almost closing. I was worried, pained and limping.

Thankfully, with just the right amount of determination and pain tolerance, I was able to bend the right knee again. I was favoring it a little with the left leg assisting and carrying much of my body weight. Little by little, I started to ascend EDSA till I reached Pioneer Street.

The hydration station was in sight. For the first time in this marathon, I was not able to offer any smile to the guys managing the water and Gatorade supply. I was still able to say Thanks! to the man who gave me the disposable cups of water, and that was all I managed to do in appreciation of their support to us marathoners. Like a dying candle, I felt my strength was fast fading.

Time Check: 24.5 kilometers covered in 2:01 hours.
Body Check: Shoulders a bit tighter. Foot Happy, No signs of the Left foot injury. Left Knee Fine. Right Knee Aching Painfully.

[ It is interesting to note now that at my first 9 kilometers, healthy and happy, I was at 4:15 min/km pace. The next 15 kilometers, worried and limping, I was running/walking. I wonder how I would have performed if I my right knee was fine. Could I sustain the 4:15 pace? Or the 4:40 planned pace for the first 21 kilometers? I did slow down from the 9th onwards, knowing I was running faster than planned. What if I did not carry a problematic bag and my knees were perfectly fine? Well, let's just leave those questions open for now and proceed with this tale. ]

24.5 kilometers in 2 hours. Doing the Math and fully aware of my body's conditions, my hope was to finish this marathon under 4 hours. Whatever is left of my knees, I will have to use them for a tough and difficult finish. I have thrown away the 3:30 target time at this point. I was not healthy enough to accomplish my initial goals. A 4-hour finish is the more reasonable and feasible goal at this point of my marathon run. I was a little happy with that, I can still do walk breaks. I will finish this marathon as strong as I could and manage a sub-4. That's how I evaluated the situation. The plan is to contain the pain and manage a sub-4.

It is already 6:30am and the sun has awaken. So I'm doubling up on my hydration. If there was only water, I will take down two cups. If there was Gatorade, I will drink a cup of it (which by the way was given in generous proportions, around 75-85% of the cup!) and then drink another cup of water. The last thing I want to experience in this marathon is to be limping in pain and dying in thirst. I was properly hydrated all throughout the marathon (except maybe at Roxas, the last 3 kilometers of the marathon where only a Gatorade station was present and some non-runners were crowding it for free drinks..).

After all the calculations in my head, I started to slowly jog again on Pioneer street. We were shaded by the buildings and establishments going from Pioneer street to Shaw Boulevard to Meralco Avenue to Oranbo to Canley road. I distracted my mind from the pains by looking at the silent malls, hypermarkets, sports complex and high rises. There were very few people here to greet us unlike in Manila where most of the roads were in residential areas. Here in Mandaluyong going to Pasig and later Taguig, it was mostly commercialized establishments and highways. Only motor bikers shouting "Kaya nyo yan! (You can do it!)" were greeting the marathoners on the roads.

Police marshals and race personnels also give thumbs up signs and clapping their hands from time to time. That eases the pain a little bit and I was finally able to break away from my frowning face to flash a genuine smile of appreciation. It must have been hard for these race marshals and race organizers to wake up so early in the morning just to ensure the safety of us runners.

There were also bystanders in awe of what they were witnessing.. Marathoners bathing in sweat and running on highways so early in the morning wearing the same shirts and with huge numbers pinned on the center of their singlets. Questions ranging from "Walang mga babae? (No ladies?)" to "Hanggang saan kayo tatakbo (Till where will you be running to?)" were directed to us. It's very hard to talk on race pace and runners are not obliged to answer queries on the road from bystanders. But at the same time, it could also be an instrument to introduce these people to running. Besides, I am not running on race pace, I can barely jog with my aching knees. So I answered most of them politely.

Along the way, we were greeted by the cheering of a squad of police officers in uniform egging us to Go! Go! Go!. It really was inspiring and uplifting. Thank you so much Ma'ams and Sirs!

When I reached the end of Canley road going to C5, I thought I was about to cross the Kalayaan flyover to Makati. So I tried to speed up. It was false hope. I gained speed because I thought I will be reaching my pacer and support at Makati sooner than expected. When I was finished going down the flyover and found myself in a highway not in Makati with huge billboards and a much wider road, I was disappointed. It was not the Kalayaan flyover I was hoping it was. I am now in C5 road fully exposed against the sun's heat and worrying if I could still finish this race.

When I'm excited, the knee cooperates and is able to run like those training days. When I got worried and disappointed, the knee complains and threatens to quit. Walking now in C5 Road, I was alone and worried. I was overwhelmed by just how long this marathon distance is. I was hoping I was in Makati by now. Not here in this hot, far away place I am not familiar with. I took a lot of time on the hydration stations, what else will I do? I cannot run. The sun is up and firing with his unlimited morning heat. I am desperately looking for any form of comfort I could find.

People look at me and stare at my knees for a while. Look up at my face and wonder why this guy joined a marathon in this physical state. I could see their foreheads wrinkling a bit and wanting to raise that question. There was even a traffic enforcer shaking his head to show his mercy at my present conditions. I continued to walk. Someway, somehow, I will be able to run. I was just charging my legs and letting them recover. I will push my aching knee to its limit when it is time to speed up again. It was a humbling experience right there. I was just powerless, worried and aching under the heat of the sun.

Why did I keep going? What was there to prove with a bad knee? What is there in a marathon to disregard a knee injury and push through? My answers: I don't want to fail myself and talk about how I failed. I don't want to fail Nerissa and my family who came to support me. They inspired me to keep going. I don't want to tell Athan that I had to quit. I want to set an example to our running group that Yes! It can be done. And how do I know what it feels to run and finish a marathon if I quit now? How do I know what is there in a marathon that runners like me would want to conquer it? If I quit now, I would be very disappointed about myself. I can tolerate pain. I could not tolerate depression and a fallen pride.

There is still hope. I can still walk. And I know, deep down that I could still unleash my inner strength at the right time. I believed it would happen in a familiar territory. A place where I have trained hard and worked relentlessly to prepare for this marathon. I believed that when I reach Makati, I will have that strength again to finish strong. From C5 to The Fort to Kalayaan flyover, I will definitely see Makati. And that will be my final push to finish this marathon.

Time Check: 29 kilometers covered in 2:37 hours.
Body Check: Foot still Happy, No signs of the Left foot injury. Left Knee Fine. Right Knee Still Aching.

A Desert Run at The Fort

I reached the end of C5 and entered a familiar race venue, The Fort. Going down a very steep downhill in McKinley, a fellow marathoner in his mid-40s smiled to me and said "Di ako makapag-preno! (I can't hit the breaks!)." We were rolling down too fast. I had to stay behind and protect my right knee from further damage. If he cannot hit the breaks and control his pace, I had a different problem. I cannot step on the gas especially on this downward slope.

I just watched him enjoyed the ride as I tackled the downhill slowly. I now find myself running all alone again. For the most parts on this marathon, it's just me, my thoughts of my morale support crew headed by Nerissa, and my marathon dreams that were all pushing together for a successful finish. I may be running alone but I never felt lonely. I was in pain but I can manage to smile from time to time. I must have found my inner peace.

When I reached Market! Market! and then going into Kalayaan Avenue and nearing the Kalayaan flyover.. I felt like running in a desert. It was hot. There were less buildings to shield me from the sun's heat. I was running alone and there were nothing on the road but myself. I was moving my feet again and running comfortably at a 5:00 min/km pace. This was a lot faster from the walking and limping 8:00 pace from Guadalupe to C5.

The right knee was giving me problems when I stop or walk. When jogging or running, the pain subsides a little and is more manageable. Running on Kalayaan Avenue in The Fort, I aimed to cross the Kalayaan flyover in 23 minutes and reach Makati at exactly 3:00 hours. My goal is still to finish under 4 hours.

At the Kalayaan flyover, a foe I have conquered from Globe's Run For Home, I kept myself busy counting banner posts every 20 meters or so. One.. run steady uphills.. Two.. Three.. Four.. There were a lot of banner posts in there. Twenty one.. Twenty two.. Then a biker passed and said "Kayang Kaya mo yan!. (You can do it!)" He will go on to another runner about 50 meters ahead of me and said the same words with a thumbs up.

I lost count of the posts. When I caught up with another runner, he complained of muscle cramps. When I look at him he said "Konti na lang eh.. Inabutan pa ko cramps. (With just a little more to go.. I'm having cramps.)". I cannot say a word. At the last 10 kilometers of this marathon, every runner has his own set of battles and demons. The last 10 kilometers of the marathon are the longest and toughest kilometers, so they say from marathon articles and blogs I've read. I proceeded with my battle against Kalayaan flyover. In my mind, I won't let this flyover beat me ever!

Isn't it ironic for this flyover to be named Kalayaan (Freedom) when all it does is provide punishment and difficulties to runners? I could only refer to it as truly "Kalayaan" when I get through it.

Cramping, Limping and Exhausted.. with My Chocolates

When I saw Makati, at last, at the foot of the Kalayaan flyover, my right knee succumbed to fatigue, pain and overuse. I was walking on one-leg for the last three posts of the flyover up till the 33rd kilometer mark and another hydration station. The guys and girls at the station cheered for us and egged us to go on. Last few kilometers to go. I was not able to return a smile to thank them enough for lifting our spirits. I felt the worst pain on my right knee for the entire stretch of the marathon. A few meters after the 33rd kilometer mark, I decided to stop and attend to the pains.

I adjusted my knee support. And tried to stretch my hamstrings. Bad move. The leg cramped. My face turned so frowning ugly it almost appeared like I drank a full bottle of vinegar. Ha! 9 kilometers to go. It's been 2:57 hours of running. I had 3 minutes to stay still and summon my strengths for a final push.

Time Check: 33 kilometers covered in 2:57 hours.
Body Check: Foot still Happy, No signs of the Left foot injury. Left Knee Fine. Right Knee Very Painful Now.

As I wait for my Casio digital timer to strike 3:00, I reached for my belt bag and got some chocolates. Those little chocolates were a great morale boost. One hour more to score a sub-4. 9.195 kilometers to go. I have done my Math, 6:30 min/km pace from hereon to the Finish Line. OK, I smiled to myself and continued to feast on my chocolates. I was happy. I was at peace. I was also in great pain.

A Marathon Dream Revived

It wasn't even 3:00 yet when I started to move again. I had a different glow on my face.. This is gonna be a run to remember I thought. The final push.

While I was near the sidewalks of Makati just after the Kalayaan flyover eating my chocolates, Sir Junrox (Tiger Boy) and Alfred (El Kyoshi) passed me by. These guys are consistent sub-4 marathoners so they inspired me to make my final push and do my own sub-4.

I had trouble starting my knees to run as I still feel the pain on the right knee. This is what I get from stopping I thought. From hereon, I must never stop again else I will find myself unable to stand and walk again. Keep the legs moving as to numb the right knee of the pain. Stop for a while and that knee will just relay the message of pain to my brain over and over. My take was to keep going. Fatigue is so much more tolerable than the inability to walk and suffering from extreme knee pains. 9 kilometers, 1 hour, non-stop, I must keep going.

While jogging my way to start my last 9 kilometers, a fellow marathoner offered his Cloud 9 chocolates. I smiled and signaled a No Thanks! with my right hand. Another runner talks about how he's so hungry and was looking for a fast food restaurant - Jollibee or McDo. By the time I reached Paseo De Roxas in Makati, I was at a faster running pace already. Thank God!


At Makati Avenue, my eyes say it all.. When will this run end?
Photo Courtesy of Gerard (The New Adventures of Dimsum And Siomai)


Why a marching band of 20-35 people sitting on plastic chairs along Makati did not play their drums, flutes, saxophones, tambourines and whatever have they when I passed in front of them was a let down. They would have uplifted my spirit to another level. I'd love to raise my hands together and shout "Come On! Play your Instruments. Let's do this!" I would only be wasting my depleted energy, so I just passed them by hoping I get to hear them somehow. Maybe next year. :(

The sugar in those chocolates made me run for water. I had nothing left in my hydration belt so I run faster to the next hydration station or to Athan, whichever comes first. See! Chocolate works. Hehehe.

At Makati Ave, I knew I got my Final Wind that should be able to carry me to the Finish Line. This is Makati Area. At Velazquez Park, just a few meters away, I have trained so hard for 7 weeks to prepare for this marathon. This is where I had my intervals, tempos and easy recovery runs. This is where me and my colleagues train. This is where my dreams are built and put into weeks and weeks of constant practice. Those sweat and hard work flashed back in my memories and with that, I got revived and renewed. I would have loved to catch up with Sir Junrox and Alfred but I had to conserve my energy. I did not want to sprint and lose steam. At my own pace, about 200 meters behind them, I continued with my own battle.

A Friend in Need, My much Needed Support

At Ayala Avenue, I was getting a little more comfortable with the 6:00 - 6:30 min/km pace. Reaching the Mercury Drug Store just after Ayala Ave, Athan was warming up and I was so happy to finally see him at this final stretches of the marathon route.

He gave me a bottle of 100Plus sports drink and offered the ice-cold water in his hydration belt. I took the 100Plus drink and passed on the water. Then he offered more help by getting my hydration belt. I gave the belt to him and continued the run. He asked me if I were comfortable at the pace we're running which was moderately fast. I said yes, I can still do this. Along the way, we talked about how I was struggling with my knees, how long he was waiting for me to arrive, and more.

With the hydration belt finally off me, the refreshments and the little friendly talk, I felt rejuvenated and ready to reach the Finish Line. The ice-cold water he had was a huge relief against the raging heat of the sun. It was already 8am. He kept on telling me that "Malapit na lang yan! (The Finish Line is near! / Just a little bit more)." From Pasong Tamo to Sergio Osmena Highway to Taft Avenue, he paced with me and kept me going. I could never thank him enough for his efforts that day.

I told him I cannot stop running. If I do, I would not be able to run again. When we reached the water station somewhere in Leveriza, I got a cup of water and doused it on top of my head without stopping my legs from moving. True enough, the right knee did not hurt as much.

When we reached Harrison Street, he told me to go ahead and that he will just follow me to the Finish Line. He was not able to keep up. I knew he had difficulties carrying two bottles of 100Plus and our hydration belts and still pacing me along the way. We parted and I continued to race.

I was now at Roxas Boulevard, some 4 kilometers away from the Finish Line. I was all smiles at this point of the marathon. After hurting my right knee at the 16th kilometer of this race and battling the pains for the last 22 kilometers, who wouldn't be happy to have reach this far?

The Tiger Near the Finish Line

At Roxas Blvd., I longed to see Nerissa and my parents once again. This time, at the Finish Line. All happy thoughts now. Little did I know, that those 4 remaining kilometers would be the longest 4 kilometers I would have ever ran.

I was able to catch up with Sir Junrox. I clapped behind him and shouted with all my might to cheer him on "Kaya mo yan Sir Junrox! (You can do it Sir Junrox)." He told me to go ahead and he was not too sure if he could finish the marathon. He was having leg cramps.

I pushed on. I was having calculations on my head and I knew I would beat 4:00 hours if I could just hang on. In Athan's words "Malapit na lang yan! (The Finish Line is near! / Just a little bit more)." So I kept on running.

And kept on running.

And kept on running.

I wonder when this would end though. I am getting tired. And the finish line is nowhere in sight. Water! I need water!

Then Sir Junrox told me from behind that a sub-4 would still be manageable. He told me to go for it. He inspired and motivated me to take that sub-4, but what really inspired me was that this gentleman was having leg cramps and he was still pushing that hard to win his own battle! I kept on running.

And kept on running.

A Gatorade station! Yes! I was all too thirsty. It was just a narrow table and non-runners were crowding it for free drinks. I had to run around them to finally see an open space to get my Gatorade cup. I knew these people were not runners. If they were, they could have looked from behind and gave way to the people who need it most. The runners who have been running for hours! They could have at least give way and get their free cups after we have gotten ours.

There was a little less than a kilometer more as I passed by the 1Km Post at the corner of Pedro Gil street.

I had no time to stop and complain. If I did, I would not be able to run anymore with my aching right knee. As I drank the full cup of Gatorade, Sir Junrox was now running side by side with me. I was thinking of letting him reach the Finish Line first out of respect.

He wanted me to push stronger, reminding me that it's just a few meters more left and that I could do it. With all my remaining strength, I did push and speed up. I kept on running.

And kept on running.

Finally, The Finish Line

The long run with the Finish Line still out of sight was really frustrating me and taking away a lot of what is left of my remaining strength. I kept on asking when will this run end? Looking at my Casio, it is fast approaching the 4:00 mark. I just kept on running.

When I finally reached the Starting Line, there was only the left turn around to Quirino Grand Stand that stood behind me and my marathon dream. That feeling was indescribable. I thought I was flying and floating on clouds of joy. I was very excited.

When I finally saw the Timex Digital watch at 3:55:++, I was ecstatic. Just a few steps more to accomplish the sub-4. I did not want it to go to 3:56 so I sprinted with all I have left. 3:55:36! Fantastic finish. I did it. Wuhooooo!!!


Reached the Finish Line in 3:55:36 hours. What a difficult run.

I struggled to stand straight when my barcode number was being peeled off my bib. I was swaying like a drank man. Where was the medal? Anyone? That was the hardest run of my life so far. Someone give me my well deserved marathon medal. Anyone?

Nope. No medals for now Jayson. I was given a black bag though. Maybe next time. What? I will do this again next time? Uulit pa ba?


I cannot Stand Up now. Just dropped down in fatigue. No medals. No loot bags. Just this black bag.

Attending to the Injuries and The Celebration

With all the trouble I brought to my right knee, I asked my father to massage it and my mother inisted for it to be iced and attended to by the Marathon Medical Staff. I struggled to walk up to Chowking for our marathon breakfast celebration. I had to cling on Nerissa's shoulder for support.

Athan, Nerissa, Cyrine and my parents could all attest to how I struggled to walk or stand after the marathon run. As for me it was more of feeling the successful marathon journey than feeling all the body pains. I was still floating in my own clouds of joy.


Removed the Knee Support and compressed the knee with ICE.


Yes! Yes! Yes! We did it!


In Summary

Race Segment
Time of Arrival
Time to Cover
Average Pace
Problems
First 9.2 Km
5:09 am
0:39 hours
4:15 min/km
Belt Bag A Little Loose
Next 15.3 Km
6:31 am
1:22 hours
5:22 min/km
Walk Break: Belt Bag Mess
Walk Break: Extreme Right Knee Pains
Next 4.5 Km
7:07 am
0:36 hours
8:00 min/km
Multiple Walk Breaks: Extreme Right Knee Pains
Next 4 Km
7:27 am
0:20 hours
5:00 min/km
Right Knee Pains
Sun's Heat
Last 9.195 Km
8:25 am
0:58 hours
6:18 min/km
Fatigue
3 Minute Rest: Right Knee Pains
Sun's Heat


Based on the above table, I can see a lot of improvement points for my next marathon. Until then. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a post and what a run and finish! Congratulations, Jayson! Reading this brought me back to my first ever full this year.

    I admire your speed, dedication and heart--for me three of the most important things to finish a marathon. You're right about one thing: your time will only improve from here on. I can't wait to see that day comes.
    :-)

    P. S. You should have called out after the Buendia-Kalayaan flyover. I would have loved to run with you. And maybe ask for chocolates... I wanted to say, maybe next time but what am I saying? Next time, I'll be eating your dust :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Jayson
    A very tough day for you but you showed great mental strenght to keep going. I hope your knee recovers soon.
    Are you planning on doing another marathon?
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Alfred: Thanks. Speed. Dedication. Heart. Wow! Nice to read that you find those qualities on my marathon run. :) I agree. The speed suffered when I injured the right knee. What kept me going was the dedication to finish what I started and the heart to fight on despite the odds. I will see you again on one of the races. Hopefully my knee has fully recovered by then.

    @ Chris: Thanks. Tough it was. :) I will do it again sometime late next year. We have at least four scheduled marathons from October to November. Milo Marathon, Subic International Marathon (SIM), QC International Marathon (QCIM) and the one I just joined, the Philippine International Marathon (PIM). I would like to join at least two of these marathons next year. PIM will always be special for me so I if I'm healthy enough next year, PIM has got to be in my marathon race schedule. ;)

    ReplyDelete