TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Nov 23, 2009

Not So Fit N Right

The Goal

Going into Sunday's Fit N Right 10K race, I wanted to establish a new Personal Record (PR) and end my running year with a bang. Ever so confident and almost always aiming for a high goal (and usually ending up underachieving), I wanted a 42-43 minute 10K finish time. At the back of my mind, if I wasn't nursing a knee injury caused by my last marathon race, I could very well have a shot at a sub-40. Call me a dreamer!

I was still pretty much realistic that a sub-40 is out of my reach for this race. I lacked the training that I need for speed and endurance. I only had two training runs to prepare for this race. (1) A 4km easy run to test if my knee could handle running again. I finished 4km in 30 minutes. Awful. Painful. I was pretty much gassed out after the first kilometer. (2) An 8km tempo run in which I established my new 1K training PR at 3:53 minutes.

Ever so stubborn, I proceeded to race but was fully aware of the condition of my right knee. If it starts to hurt after a few kilometers of the race, I would have to quit. No ifs. No buts. There is still a full season of running next year and to aggravate the knee injury at this 10K race would be counter productive. No need to jeopardize a promising running hobby.

Target Times To Beat:
2009 Race for LIFE 10K, 3rd Place Finish: 43:42 by Alden Molines.
2009 Timex 10K, 9th Place Finish: 45:23 by Naoki Yamane.

I thought Fit N Right would just be another Race for LIFE type of run, fewer runners, less competitive, simple run. I was hoping to finish at the Top 3 really. I believed I can beat 43:42. Plan B was to finish at the Top 10 if Fit N Right turns out to be as competitive as the recently concluded Timex race. More importantly though, I wanted to break my 51:19 10K finish time from July's Hataw Pilipinas race at UP Diliman.

The Run

We arrived at Mall Of Asia (MOA) with three Kenyan runners warming up in sight. Whoaaah! These runners are still here? Immediately after seeing them, my goals shifted down to just beating the 51-minute PR. No more top finish at this race. No chance. Nil. Zero.

And with thousands of runners packed at the starting line. There is no way for me to squeeze in on the top rows of the pack. I was sandwiched at the middle of thousands of runners. Wary of my right knee and accepting the fact that this is a much bigger race than I expected, I started slow.

The start was a disappointing experience. Race started so late. It was scheduled at 6am, the organizers were still running a program, mindless of the impatient and annoyed 10K runners eagerly and desperately waiting for the start. Thankfully, the starting gun was fired around 30 minutes after 6am. Horrible really. Inexplicably disorganized at the start.
  1. The START / FINISH arc was still being constructed and unfinished when it's already 6am.
  2. The start was way too late.
  3. The pre-race program was booed, impatiently disrespected at several times.
  4. The 3k and 5k runners joined the 10k runners at the starting line.
  5. The program was not in sync with the starting gun fire. No countdowns, whatsoever. It just fired all of a sudden.
And then we're off. Well, it took me around 25-40 seconds before I was able to reach the starting line. It was good to use the Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) by Unang Hakbang Teknolohiya. Will there be an RF Time and a Net Time posted on the Race Results? I certainly hope so. They have the hardware to support this technology. I hope they also have the software to record the timing per runner.

The two (2) LCD time displays for the 3k / 5k / 10k were also clearly displayed at both sides of the START / FINISH arc. See. The race organizers did have great ideas and innovations for this race. Unfortunately though, the race basics of race organization were clearly forgotten right from the start.

As I bobbed and weaved (boxing jargons for moving your head up, down and sideways to avoid your opponent's set of punches) my way to overtake the front runners, I felt my body warming up. The excitement and adrenaline rush of the race that really boosted my starting pace from the last Race for LIFE and the Philippine International Marathon was not there. I had to channel that energy to establish a free lane at the race for myself.



By the time I passed the first corner of the race at Seaside Blvd. and had the free lane I wanted, the effort to overtake so many runners took its toll on my legs and lungs. I really have to put myself in the front rows when aiming for a PR. The starting line bottleneck and the effort for zigging and zagging my way to overtake hundreds of runners were not only costly in terms of wasted time but also in terms of depleted energy.

Going into President Macapagal Blvd. I was still able to overtake some runners and was probably running at a 4:10 min/km pace. Like the road hunter in me, I started looking for more runners to chase. From the U-turn on President Macapagal Blvd. to EDSA, I chased down five to seven more runners ahead of me. Chasing was my way of keeping up the face and getting busy. At tempo runs, it is easy to slow down and give in to fatigue sometimes. At the races, I had to shield my mind from fatigue and focus on the road ahead. Chasing is a vital aspect of my race. It keeps me focused and it helps me lock into a fast pace longer.

From EDSA to the famous huge Globe structure at MOA, I started to pace myself and slow down a bit. There were less runners ahead of me. The goal now is to sustain that lead and carry on with a much more manageable pace. I hate to admit that I was ill prepared for this 10K race but that has got to factor in at just the 4th kilometer of the race. I was already breathing hard for lack of endurance training.

The fastest 5K runners already caught up with me. Three Pinoys, Gerald Sabal, Jujet De Asis and Mervin Guarte led the 5K pack. A Kenyan runner was desperately chasing them from behind but the three Filipino speedsters were just too fast for the Kenyan. Wuhoooo! Way to go Gerald, Jujet and Mervin!!!

From the dusts of their running shoes, I wondered when will I be able to adapt that high ankle pull up. From the Pose Running Method, the high ankle pull up is vital to help Gravity, Muscle Elasticity and Ground Reaction Force work in favor of the runner. The Filipino trios were giving me a visual running clinic. I have been running from the ball of my foot (forefoot running), I now want to learn the high ankle pull up to increase my speed.

The first loop was about to end. The crowd inspired me to run faster and stronger. I reached the 5K mark in 21 minutes and 40 seconds. I might have an erroneous race result though. 10K runners were not supposed to run under the RF sensors located at the Finish arc. We were supposed to be rerouted away from those sensors as we proceed to our second loop. They say a runner should only cross the START/FINISH time twice, more than that, it spells trouble on the records. I was not rerouted. I was just directed to run to the leftmost side of the arc where a camera man amazingly blocked the narrow lane. I shook my head in disgust and disappointment. Why block a runner on the lane? (My RFID time should be 21:40, statistically I beat the Kenyan who finished the 10K in 31 minutes.. Hehehe)

From then on, the frustrations on how this race was conducted on the road would still grow exponentially.

Starting on my second loop, I knew the sub-40 would not be feasible. I always have been a positive splitter. I start strong, manage a comfortable pace in between kilometers and then sprint my way to the last few hundred kilometers of a race. Halfway through a race, fatigue will set in and though I push stronger on the latter stages of the race, I simply can't beat my first half time.

A police runner overtook me from the 6th kilometer point. I was starting to show signs of fatigue. I was probably at 4:50 - 5:00 min/km from the 6th and 7th kilomter of the race. Then I started to run strong again after the my second U-turn at President Macapagal Blvd. The 5K runners were enjoying their walks and mini-runs. There was no more water on the hydration stations starting from the 4th kilometer up to the finish line. Another major frustration.

Anyways, it was time to speed up again. I started moving my arms faster and sideways -- my newest adjustment on my running form. Before, I was swaying my hands across my body. Now, I am trying to move it sideways parallel to my legs. Why? It is a form I learned from sprint running. It is more aerodynamic and is able to reduce wind friction against my body. It also helps me move my legs in a straight circular line. The Pose Method of running suggests that I don't move my legs away from that straight circular line. I believe the sideways movement of my arms (and not across the body) helps me achieve this running form.

I passed over hundreds of walkathoners that were not really giving me any problems from Pres. Macapagal Blvd. up to the Globe structure in fron of MOA. The left side of the road was always available for the faster runners on the Pres. Macapagal Blvd and the right side was available on the EDSA towards the Globe.

The only time the 3k and 5k walkathoners and joggers became a problem was when I reached the Seaside Blvd after the Globe. The left side nor the right side were no longer free for faster runners. Coupled with the lack of hydration and the scorching heat of the sun, there was really no option but to slow down.

If the starting line bottleneck was a huge concern from me at the start, this bottleneck at the road posed a much tougher maneuvering difficulty. It was like Urbanathlon with its hurdles and challenges. Unlike it though, this was less fun and more frustrating.

A killer crossover basketball move was called for. And then another ankle breaker to pass through a couple of chatting runners. Somewhere at that point, I had to run sideways just to squeeze my body and overtake two runners/walkers in front of me. I really had to be creative. And though it could be artistic, it was more of a desperate attempt to chase that PR and hope for a decent finish. With a thirsty throat and up against the raging heat of the early morning sun.

When I finally reached the last hundred meters or so of the second and final loop of my 10K run, I was instructed by a marshal to run on the left side of the road. At last, a chance to sprint. And sprint I did. A last moment attempt to slow down that running clock and sink a hail-mary 3-point shot NBA basketball attempt at the dying seconds of a basketball game. Or even a last minute of the 12th and final round to desperately mount a rally of flurrying punches to knock out a boxing opponent who is way ahead on points. It was desperate and it was the most exciting part of the race. The sprint to the finish.

44:10. A new Personal Record is set. Water! Somebody give me water! or just anything to drink! No? Not so fast. I had to fall in line for perhaps another 10Km race time to get a drink. Sad indeed. I ran the last six (6) kilometers without water, against the scorching heat and maneuvering over hundreds and hundreds of walkers towards the finish. But I think I did sink the 3-point basket or the knock out punch. Or maybe not.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.
This is my last race of the year and what a running year it was.
See you next year!


The Photos
Check out our post race photos courtesy of Aiyan. I was runner #1104.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. The results for Fit N Right are out. More disappointments. I had to express my disgust to the race organizers. My apologies den for inviting some of you to this chaotic race event.

    1. I was not in the 10K finisher's list. Bib #1104. (Deuna)
    2. My friend was not able to run due to personal reasons. He was in the 10K finisher's list? (Tantay)
    3. On the Online Registration, one of my colleagues unintentionally registered two names. He entered an incomplete name on the first one. Then upon seeing the 10K results, both names appeared. Why? Both are also wrong. He finished at 1:06 hours, the results show 1:14 and 1:30 hours. (Tapac)
    4. A 5K runner, who recently finished 28 minutes from Timex.. finished again his 5K in 28 minutes. The results show 36 minutes. Why? (Manabat)
    5. At least some of my friends got their timing correct. 4 of 9 by my count. Is this acceptable? Some were wrong. Some missing.
    6. A 3K runner friend was happy to run under 18 minutes upon seeing the LCD display timer. On the results, he got 18:54. (Futaro)

    I'm very disappointed. I promoted the event to my colleagues and runner friends. The race was chaotic from the starting line, started 30+ minutes late so we had to endure the scorching heat, no water for 10K runners past the 4Km mark, marshals did not provide a fast lane for the faster runners towards the finish line (congested route), the freebies distribution was very disorganized. And then this faulty race results. Very disappointing.


    P.S. Akala ko ako na panalo sa 10K kasi nag-cross ako sa finish line nung first loop ko in 21:40 minutes. May naka-19:46 pa pala sa 10K. Hehehe. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete