TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Jan 19, 2010

Long Runs: Sweeter Each Time

Season 2: The Road To Boston

Chapter 2. Road Work


2.3 Long Runs : They Just Got Sweeter Each Time

When we don't have to work so hard to get what we already have, we tend to take them for granted. And wished we never did once they start to be taken away from us.

I used to run 27 kilometers nonstop with my Sunday long runs last year. It felt easy. Mostly, those long runs were just a matter of finish times. I almost knew the marathon was ripe for the taking. And the taking won't be that hard either. I developed over confidence and little by little, neglected to take care of my running body --- to learn when to slow down, recover, and then gradually increase mileage.

The third Sunday of this year was also my third Sunday long run. It's going to be my regular Sunday. I hope. See the difference right there? There isn't too much air of confidence any more. It is now more of a hope. To endure. To finish without pains. I guess it all started on my marathon debut...

Marathon Debut: I dropped my head and shoulders a little, almost bowing, touched my knees and offered a silent prayer - Please give me the strength to finish this marathon. Just a little more strength to do this. Please.
The uncertainties made me worked harder. And plan better. And most of all, I am learning to just enjoy each step of the way. Just all too grateful that little by little, I'm starting to recover and feel so good about running again. What I had was not taken completely out of reach. To have them back, I have to work harder and I have to "want" it. And wanting it is going to be my regular Sunday. I hope. Thankfully, for three Sundays in a row, wanting it has been my regular mindset.

What was not regular was the humidity and the cooler morning breeze. The sun will be rising late as dark clouds covered the skies of dawn. Freezing or not, I would still be out there running. I don't want a miss a Sunday long run. It was the only day of the week when I get to go out and check my local community on foot. I get to run on the street of my local barrio, check the not-so-busy highways of my hometown, avoid the wandering neighborhood dogs in fear of a calf bite, get to hear the very first engine starts of passenger motorcycles, pass by the soon-to-be-busy Silang Market, share parts of the road with cyclists climbing their way to Tagaytay City, and then more.


This 7.4Km route is about 3 kilometers away from our house in Barangay Balite 1st. That's around 13 kilometers for my Sunday long runs. For longer runs, I'll be including the Silang-Tagaytay Aguinaldo Highway. That's an 11-kilometer highway (22km back and forth, from Km 45 to Km 56 at Ninoy Aquino Monument in Tagaytay Rotonda).

With my jogging pants, singlet, Casio timer and rubber shoes.. it was the regular Sunday long run for me starting at 5:30am up to around 7am. Saturday night, I would be sleeping with my running clothes on. Early Sunday morning, I will just have to grab my Timer, wear my socks and shoes, prepare a very light breakfast (coffee and bread or a few spoons of rice and whatever there is). Stretch and warm up. Press the start button on the timer and then hit the road.

It's not so hard to wake up early and break from bed anymore. What am I doing? Why would I be waking up this early morning when all my housemates pretty much enjoy sleeping until about the noon time? I would stop the damned alarm clock and sleep a few hours more until it's all too late to run against the heat. The last three Sundays, it was a lot easier to wake up at the first sound of the alarm.

Again, why? I must be loving what I do as a runner. I must have fully embraced the sport and the dedication I need to fulfill my goals or come close to my goals. I have deeply learned that what I do today does have impact on what I'll be doing in the future. Come to think of it, that was the same reason why I had belly fats today. Hehehe.

In the past, I just eat what I want to eat. Do nothing. Sleep late and wake up late most of the time. Little by little, those little things accumulate and accumulate and accumulate and then hello big belly. Little by little now, I hope to reverse that process. Little by little, I should choose to be fit and run those scheduled runs however slow I might be running. And how hard the struggles might be. Because a few months from now, I know I'll be reaping the rewards of my hard work, determination, desire and discipline to succeed. Just little by little.

Scheduled Long Runs

WeekKilometersFinish TimePace (min/km)
0. Warm Up121:30:007:30
1.121:18:376:34
2.131:24:096:29
3.14DNS
4.151:23:565:36
5.171:40:455:56
6.141:16:115:27
7.15DNS
8.
Joined a 10K Race
9.
DNS
10.171:31:175:23

The table above will be my long run schedule up until the Globe 10Km race on March 21.

My first 12 kilometer run was to test if my legs were still ready for running. A feeling out run. Do I still have the stamina that I earned from last year? It turned out that a lot of fine tuning were needed. After the 6th kilometer, I was already walking because of the pains on the right knee. I am still bothered by this marathon injury.

The next 12 kilometer run, on the first week of my training proper, I was more comfortable. I finished the long run panting and happy. I had no walk break and there was no pain on the knees.

Last Sunday, I upped the long run to 13 kilometers. I was more relaxed. Despite the humidity and the darker than usual early morning run, I was able to run faster and longer. 13 kilometers in 1:24:09 hours. 6:29 min/km. Still way far from Runner's World's suggested training pace for my long runs (4:51 - 5:29).

Nevertheless, I'm still on the early stages of my 10K preparations. The priority is just to wake up early, enjoy and finish the scheduled run. Little by little, we will become stronger. Timing will soon follow. No rush. No injuries. Just having fun.

The Godfather

Last Sunday, I had to wake up early and finish the long run early. By 7am, I should be back home and taking a shower. By 8am, I should have traveled to Barangay Kaong and should be at the church by 8am. I would be a godfather of my girlfriend's relative and neighbor. I am always at her home on weekends, they must have ran out of choices. Hahaha.

So from 530am to 7am, I should have finished my scheduled 13-kilometer run. Good enough, I did it 1:24 hours. Just a little better than last Sundays 1:18hour 12-kilometer long run. Little by little you see. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Will have to skip this Sunday's 14-km long run.. Just suffered a Grade I sprained ankle during Wednesday's basketball game.

    Cross trained with Boxing the last two days. I have now logged 50 4-minute rounds against the punching bag for the whole of January! The left ankle is recovering well. Only minor swelling and pains. But I still need to rest and not risk to aggravate the pains.

    I should be running again Tuesday next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 31 Jan 2010: Did 15km long run from 5:30am. I woke up with stomach aches, somewhere below the tummy. After hot coffee, stretching and a few meter ran, it went away. Great. I felt strong on my long run and was able to break the 6-minute long run pace for the first time this year! :D

    Finished 15km in 1:23:56.98 hours. This coming Sunday, it'll be a 17-km long run. I believe I'm running as strong as I was last year.. It's all coming back now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 07 Feb 2010: Ran 17kilometers in 1:40:45 hours. The first 10 kilometers were ran fast in 49:55 minutes.

    I was focusing on fast turnover, forefoot strike, running tall, my leaning angle and my arm swing.

    After 10km, I got tired and had to take a 1km walk break before I finished the last 6 km of the 17km long run.

    Lesson learned: It might have been better to take the first half easy and then run harder on the last half. :)

    ReplyDelete