TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Apr 29, 2010

Highlands-Mizuno: A Run at The Village

I was looking for a speed workout run. I got an adventure worthy of a tale. 
The race was held in an exclusive subdivision entrenched in the midst of the high altitude hills of Tagaytay. I would not have expected the grandeur and majesty of this village which is bounded by farm lands, hills and mountains. It was a place built for only the upper tier of society. The view of the Taal Lake and the infamous volcano was just truly breathtaking. Just an entrance to this wonder world was worth what I paid for the 5-kilometer race I just joined. Half kidding (just to drive a point). Hey, the place was just marvelous. The cool and windy atmosphere of Tagaytay and the picturesque view of the Taal Volcano from this exclusive village were truly an experience worthy of a comeback.

Back Track

Three nights away from this fun run, I suffered a painful left ankle sprain from playing basketball. It was so painful that I could not lift myself to stand, nor sit, and I had to be carried away from the playing court assisted by about three fellow ball players.

It was really my worst fear coming into reality. I was so devastated thinking that I would miss the chance to participate in this upcoming Tagaytay race event. I had already invited Nerissa to go with me and watch my race. It will only be her second time to watch me participate in a fun run.

Friday morning, the ankle swelled as huge as half a tennis ball. This was despite the immediate RICE treatment (rest, ice, compression and elevation). I could barely walk and had to rely on my right leg for support. Nerissa asked if we would still go the race on Sunday. I answered yes and I was really desperately hoping for the ankle sprain to heal just in time. I promised her I would be able to race.

Bail Out?

But every time I would feel how painful the sprain is, I would seriously consider dropping out from the race. Just let it heal and recover. It would be foolish to run in pain and risk aggravating the injury with the Milo marathon just about two months away. I was doubtful I would recover fast enough.

I would not want to miss my very first race in my own province of Cavite. I love to win a running shoes for Nerissa and start convincing her to run. I dream of coaching her and letting her experience the thrills and joy of running as I do. I also want to prove to myself that my very first sub-20 minutes 5-kilometer finish time was no fluke. With these things floating in my head, I could not help but blame myself for playing basketball. I am prone to a left ankle sprain since it has not fully stabilized when I sprained it a few months back just before the Centena 5k race.

I was mad at myself. I had no business playing basketball the week of an important race!

Saturday, I rested all day. Iced the left ankle. Flew a kite on the rooftop together with my brother, a 6-month old nephew, my sister, father and my sister-in-law. Our kite has a hawk design complete with claws, eyes, beak and wide mighty wings of course. With its black and red color, it was so visible on the sky and our neighboring children shouted in glee while watching the kite soar (andnosedive) from above.

I ate dinner early and was lying in bed by 9 in the evening for the following day's race.

But would I be alright? I just planned on running based on the feel of my left ankle. If it hurts, I walk. If it feels fine, then I can try to compete. You already know how I love to run a race and chase right? Boy I do love to race and compete!

Race Day

My phone woke me up at 3:20 in the morning. I was both sleepy and excited. Yeah, these feelings can really be mixed together. I swear.

The view of the outside world from my room window was still dominantly dark and only the yellowish dim lights from a lamp post on the street made the cemented road somewhat visible. I called Nerissa on the phone to wake her up. Then I went down to the kitchen to prepare a cup of strong coffee and took a quick bath after.

My extra clothes were all prepared in a small backpack. I also had my race bib and singlet prepared as well as my phone and wallet. We will just commute to Tagaytay Highlands. From our house to Silang Plaza, where Nerissa and I will meet, was about 3 kilometers. There was no available transportation from our Barangay to Silang at 4 in the morning. I carried the bag on my back and started to jog at an easy pace all the way to the Plaza. Everyone else at home was still sleeping like a log. I ran a three kilometer warm up with a plain white T-shirt and a jogging pants over my Botak running shorts. The road was all dark and tranquil. Only the dogs knew there was a stranger running on the streets when the sun was still sleeping with the rest of the neighborhood at the comforts of their beds.

By 4:20 am, I have reached Silang proper by foot. I stopped to buy a few pieces of hot pan de sal and a 12-oz bottle of Sprite. It was still 20 minutes before 4:40 am, my scheduled meeting time with my girlfriend. This would just be the second time that she will watch me participate in a race. My debut marathon run at the Philippine International Marathon in Manila was the first. Instantly, this is a special race for me because of her presence. Admittedly, I wanted to win the 5K race so I could give her a pair of running shoes. She really is a big motivation and a source of strength and added morale boost.

We rode a passenger jeep to Olivarez Tagaytay. I started to freeze in the cool winds and the low temperature. I have already changed clothes and wore my green race singlet after the three kilometer run. She was wearing a jacket. Seeing me freezing to death with my singlet made her chuckle a bit but let me hugged her for warmth till we reach Olivarez.

When we reached Olivarez, it was already past 5am. Not wanting any more delays, I opted to go for a P100.00 special tricycle ride up to Tagaytay Highlands. The alternative was a P15.00 per passenger on a jeep which was still waiting to be full and would not go inside the Highlands. I thought the tricycle would save us time and would be able to drive us all the way to the starting line.

The first tricycle that we requested for a ride had some technical problems and its engine would not start. The driver had to ask another tricycle to bring us to Highlands. Inside the second trike, I continued to freeze against the cool winds. Happily, Nerissa was there for a warm hug till the Highlands.

We were dropped off just in front of the gate - some 12 kilometers away from the race and just only few meters from the highway where the jeep would pass. So not only did we pay more for the trike, we also end up worrying how we would get to the starting line on time. The time reads 5:30. Just 40 minutes away from gun start. I was starting to lose my nerve.

At the gate, with the security guards, we were informed that no public transportation was allowed. Not even a taxi. Only the service vans from the real estate corporation would bring us to the race venue. It was all nice if not for the remaining time left before the race start.

I walked away from the guardhouse into the grasslands to view the wonderful Taal lake from atop. But with the time ticking, I could not appreciate how exclusive and grand this mansion-like place is.

It was about 5:45 when a half-full service jeep arrived. The security guards requested the driver to bring us inside since we have been waiting for several minutes and the service van was still busy somewhere else. All 9 of us, six were to participate in the race, happily hopped inside and were very thankful that we finally have a chance to come to the race just in time.

The steep slopes and the dangerous S-curves along the way made me hold on to the iron bars inside the jeep for safety. I thought the super steep road would be perfect for an uphill training. But then the jeep continued to go down the steep hills for several minutes that I had to change my mind about that training run. This would kill my legs that I'll be crawling uphill much like a boneless python. I would never reach the top of this uphill standing on both legs! I thought smiling to myself.

After a few minutes, we were dropped off and instructed to wait for the service van. Not again! It's almost 6am. We would miss the race. We were all sitting on a long bench made of wood under a huge waiting shed. There were several employees also waiting for their service vehicles. I was starting to be anxious waiting for any sort of transportation to be able to participate on the race. I was asked to wear a shirt over my singlet. The management does not allow sleeveless shirts inside Highlands. (I could not argue that I was to participate in a race since it was freezing cold. But hey! We are suppose to run so what do you expect us to wear? Sweaters?)

The impatient coach of a young lady runner spoke angrily to the security guard who was in charge of the people's transportation inside the enormous facility. I heard him say "If we missed the race.. you would have to give us a refund!!! We paid P500 each." He is the coach of Maria Angelica Gajulen, a very young lady runner who eventually won the ladies 5K race in 24 minutes.

A few minutes later, a gray service van arrived. Finally. I was able to breathe relaxed and normal. It is inadvisable to start a race anxiously and uneasy, so I tried to relax as best as I could and just enjoy the scenic view of Taal and the pine trees and the beautiful buildings and houses inside the area. The lady guard at the entrance gate said the race would be held 12 kilometers away. If I was a part of a corporation owning this huge territory, I would be filthy rich. Wouldn't I? And I thought a piece of land in Tagaytay already cost a fortune. Just imagine how much the entire Highlands costs.

Knowing that we might arrive at the starting line a little late, I already removed my jogging pants while I was inside the van. I also pinned the race bib into my green singlet. Darwin Lim, an elite runner who just won the Earth Run 2010 Half Marathon, also removed his jogging pants and so did some of the other runners in the van with us.

Here Comes the Race

I did not expect a lot of runners to participate in this minor fun run event in Tagaytay. There were about 400 runners participating in the 3/5/10K race distances. I opted to run the 5K distance since the 10K includes a 5Km run along trails. I am no trail runner.. and with a sprained ankle? I'm happy to run 5.

By six in the morning, when the 10K race was scheduled to start, the organizers were still busy accepting registrants for the event. I took the time to go to a comfort room, a hundred meters and more away from the starting line. The cool winds and the time it took us to reach the venue have already frozen my body even if I had a 3-kilometer warm up run a few hours ago. Jogging to and from the comfort room and back to starting line, I began to feel the usual race atmosphere. I am no longer tensed and anxious or worried. I was all pumped up. I came to have fun and compete. I wanted to show Nerissa how much I have improved since I started racing late 2008. If I win this one, I would win her a pair of running shoes. We would be running together very soon. And I would very much love to see her run especially with a pair of shoes coming from the results of all my hard work and determination to run. I want to win badly. (The sprained ankle was truly untimely frustrating!)

The 5K race route runs through the exclusive subdivision inside the Midlands. We came all the way from the top (Highlands) and so it was really fitting to call this place 'Midlands.' I assumed the Lowlands would have to be the Taal Lake which we could see entirely from that point.

I smiled, waved goodbye and started to walk towards the starting line. There were 150+ runners who participated in the 5K distance and so I was not too worried to be starting at the middle rows. But since this would just be a 5K race, I decided to start on the second row to quickly lock into my race pace. I would love to have a new 5K personal best after the 19:25 minutes I recorded two months ago.

Off we go! I pressed the Lap button of my Triax Fury and excitedly started to race. Alas! I was trapped in the middle when the runners cramped at the first immediate corner after the starting line.

The runners all rushed with lots of energy at the starting line. Knowing most would settle into their own paces a few minutes thereafter and that most would be unable to sustain the energy they had from gun start, I did not panic. Just let the runners in front move and then run later at the leftmost side for a free lane devoid of congestion. Besides, I really have no idea where we were running.

Later on in the race, there were no marshals to guide us where to turn. A biker leads the fastest runner to the correct route and then everyone else follows. At Saratoga Drive, two hundred meters into the race, I started to chase the fastest runners and tried my best to keep the biker in my view. From the thick rushing runners at the start, the runners quickly turned thin and the spaces in between widens. Eleven, seven, six, five, four.. I was counting the runners in front of me. Thankfully, the sprained left ankle was not giving me any sort of problems. It was all well and fighting.


An uphill quickly meets us just a few hundred meters into Saratoga Drive. The biker in front stood on the bike and forcefully started to move the pedal. It was a hint how hard the long ascent will be. I focused on strong patient strides uphill and I did pass two more runners. Only two runners remained ahead of me after the uphill climb along Saratoga.

On the next left turn, the road was flat and easy. I stayed on the left side knowing another left turn was coming. The top runner was just a few meters away from Regie, an elite runner who have won multiple local races. Regie won 3rd place on the Globe Run for Home 2010 Half Marathon.

I was ten meters away from the top two runners and was keenly observing their running form, strides and strategy from behind. So noticeable was how often Regie is turning his head behind and sizing up all the other runners in the field. He was probably looking if there was anyone else who could compete with him. He was even holding his right abdomen and wasn't really focused on running fast. I was panting and breathing deep and he was still so relaxed and running easy. He was content to run behind the leading runner. Up until the 2KM marker, he was continuously looking at his back for a possible threat.

6:19 minutes. This was the time I had on my running watch at the 2KM mark in Knoxville. Am I running too fast? I can't run this fast. I haven't run this fast (3:10 min/km?). I might still be sleeping and this is just a wonderful dream! It can't be.

Then we entered Plantation Hills Drive where we caught up with lots of 10K runners. The biker was about fifty meters away and I could feel that Regie and the top runner were starting to furiously fight for the top place.

The downhill descent in Plantation Hills helped me relax and breathe a little slower.

A 10K black runner (Kenyan?) was running to our direction. Wow! He even went this far in Tagaytay to participate in a local race? Later on, Nerissa told me that this runner speaks Tagalog fluently and I did see him chatting and staying together with our faster local athletes after the race. He did not win on the 10K race which had five runners finishing 10 kilometers well under 32 minutes.

3:53 minutes. This is the time it took me to run the 3rd kilometer of the race. The steep downhill ride at Lavender road going to Cinnamon Road felt great. It was a roller coaster ride and I did try to run as fast as I could going down with the help of gravity. I could not help but go all the way down! Then just like a coaster ride, a steep uphill meets me right after reaching the lowest part of the downhill. Then the blue 3KM marker meets us at the Coriander road. A hydration station was at the corner of Coriander and Vanilla roads but I resisted the urge and ran nonstop.
 
Then we're back to the steep hills of Lavender. Again, I went all the way down as fast as I could on the downhill and strongly and slowly ascended the steep uphill. A longer and less inclined slope of the Plantation Hills Drive soon followed. With all the rolling ups and downs we had on this route, my legs started to complain. But I can't slow down. I can no longer see Regie and the biker in front of us. I am at solo third and continuously watching the shadow projected on my left if any other runner was fast approaching from behind. There wasn't any ever since the ascend from the Saratoga Drive but I kept on telling myself that at any given moment, I would be overtaken if I ever start relaxing. So I kept on pushing hard. It's just a short race Jayson, keep running strong!

4:23 minutes. This is my time on the fourth kilometer. I did take a breather to finish the race strong. The uphills did affect my speed and my legs were really getting heavier with each passing minute.

Now we were just a kilometer away from the finish line. The final corner will lead us to Greenlands Avenue and from there, it's just a few hundred meters left from the finish line. Looking up, the finish arc was already visible from the Plantation Hills. I did say looking up! Meaning it would still be an uphill climb to reach the finish line. What a leg buster of a route!

Like a Snakes and Ladders game though, it is still pretty much ups and downs and lefts and rights until we finally reach the finish line. I don't know how many more corners we had to go through. And I must not keep thinking how long.. I just have to go and run hard till it's finally over.

At the last few hundred meters at Greenlands Avenue, I wanted to sprint. PR! PR! PR!

My tired legs did not want to. I can't sprint. My legs were not listening to my commands. Probably it was all due to the difficult rolling hills that I just endured. So I just ran steadily and fast without my favorite sprint to the finish line.

About twenty meters away when I have caught up with more 10K runners, I really did want to sprint. Again, my legs would not listen to me. I never looked from behind but I knew the 3rd place finish was already in the bag so I cruised my way to the finish line.

2:55 minutes. Unbelievable. But that was my final kilometer time. I finished the 5K race in 17:32 minutes! I really could not believe it. I refuse to believe it. I know the distance was just way short.

Con-gratssss-ulations!!! said the race emcee upon seeing me reached the finish line.

Orange cones separated the 3/5/10K lanes near the finish. A man standing in front right after the finish line took my barcode number. I then proceeded to the Gatorade table where a kind lady with a smiling face gave me a bottle of the refreshing sports drink.

Reunited with Nerissa, I happily reported my winning finish. I came to her with three fingers up to signal I finished third.

She told me that she was hoping for me to finish first but then she saw a different runner approached the finish. And then some seconds later another different runner arrived at the finish line. And then she was all too happy to see me came in third.

She had much bigger expectations than I had. She truly believed in me. I was glad she was there on another milestone in my young running career. I wish we could have a lot more winning moments like this one.

Brunch at Saratoga

The finish line started to get crowded with all the finishers waiting for all the other runners to finish their races and for the raffle draws and the awarding to commence. When the emcee got tired of pleading for all the finishers to vacate the finish area and make room for the arriving finishers, she told us all to go to Saratoga Cafe for the served breakfast.

Another uphill climb to get there though. Thankfully it's no longer part of the race. We can leisurely walk and admire the beauty of the place. Nerissa was a little unhappy that I have forgotten to bring the digital camera. There was a playground there with six swings and three of which were of giant timber where two to three people could sit and swing. It was a hanging tsubibo.

When we arrived at the Cafe. I was surprised to see the dining tables all decorated and prepared like it was a wedding reception or a debut party. From up above the Cafe hill, the view of the surrounding place, the houses, gardens, farms, playground, Taal, trees and mountain tops the moving golf carts and everything else was simply awesome. Just fantastic. It was a wonder world hidden in the middle of nowhere.

I enjoyed the fresh fruits consisting of a slice of watermelon, banana and a chunk of pineapple. They also had sandwiches, plentiful servings of pasta and iced tea. A Mizuno white finisher T-shirt with the word FINISHER printed at the upper back and NEVER SETTLE on the lower back was given to all race participants.

Authentic Mizuno T-shirts, underwater digital cameras, three Mizuno running shoes, socks, bags and caps were raffled off. There were only about 400 runners and most went home with a raffle prize. The P450.00 registration fee was all worth it. A nice green singlet, food and drinks, a finisher shirt and an exclusive beautiful place to race? Every cent was well worth it. My only complaints would be the race distance accuracy, the transportation difficulty for runners without their own cars and later on the winners' prizes.

Awarding.. My Second Podium of the Year
Finally, a well-deserved step on an actual podium. I have been awake by 3:20 in the morning and it was already 10am when the awarding started. Majority of the runners have already started to leave the place after the raffle draws and only about thirty to forty people were left to witness the awarding ceremonies.
5K Run Results

Number Bib Number Finishing Time Surname First Name
1 340 00:15:40:765 LUMAWAG REGIE
2 400 00:15:43:047 SANTOS REY
3 300 00:15:50:750 DEUNA JAYSON
The finish times were way off. I know I finished it in 17:32 minutes. The official timer read 22:xx minutes when I reached the finish line. It started 5 minutes after the 10K runners were sent off.

I was awarded with a beautiful transparent winner's medal with the 3rd Place printed on it. My winning prizes include P300.00 cash, a P500.00 Highlands gift certificate and a P1000.00 Mizuno gift certificate. I think so highly of the Highlands and was bedazzled and amazed by its riches. But for them to be giving away a meager P300.00 and just a gift certificate for the winners is just stingy and cheap. An old runner joked his Mizuno cap from the raffle draw was worth more than what I got.

I think my medal was priceless. But I thought I could treat Nerissa and myself with a pizza after finishing third. With a meager 300 pesos, I will not be able to.

Again, we had to wait for the service van to get ourselves back to the entrance gate of Highlands. The impatient coach of Maria Angelica started to go nuts once again and Darwin Lim was complaining about the P1000.00 he received from being the 10K trail run Champion. He did receive a Mizuno running shoes of his choice for being the top winner in the Men's 10K category. I could not blame him though, he is an elite professional runner who is accustomed to winning major prizes from local races.

While waiting, I talked with the Fuentes running family. Three of them came to the event from General Trias, Cavite. The father ran with her daughter, Donna, and guided her for a 26-minute second place finish in the Ladies 5K category. His son just watched and waited for them at the finish line. He said he is no longer running to compete because of his age but was a triathlete during his heyday. Triathlon was his forte but with expensive registration fees amounting to P1000.00 and more these days, he is now content to run with her young daughter. He told me that back then, race fees only amount to P50.00 and triathlons were just P150.00 to P250.00.

Nerissa was all tired after waiting for the van for several hours. It was almost 12 noon when the van brought us back to the entrance gate and I believe we were the last runners to leave Highlands. I promised her of a pizza celebration if I do win in this race. Very much appreciative of her efforts and support for me that day, we did not skip the promised pizza (despite the meager 300 cash prize). And I hugged her all day till 10 in the evening when I had to go back home and report this tale to my dear family.

6 comments:

  1. Hi jayson, congrats on your 2nd podium finish.. its been a longwhile since i visited your blog and happy to see the progress on your fitness level. theres no doubt in my mind you will be able to hit your full marathon target in Milo this July... Keep it up, you're doing great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maraming Salamat Sir Junrox. I will see you sa Milo Marathon (Manila Eliminations) this July and hopefully we both make it to the Finals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to delete some of the comments. Please try to post readable comments that most readers will understand.

    ReplyDelete