TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

May 13, 2010

A Snapshot of my Milo Marathon Training

7 Milo marathon training weeks on the bag. 8 more to go. There is still so much more running to be done.

In computer file systems, a snapshot is a copy of a set of files and directories as they were at a particular point in the past. - Wiki

After 7 weeks, I am making a snapshot of my current Milo Marathon Training. Make it freeze as of today and collect as much data as possible. And then look into this frozen snapshot perhaps on my third marathon attempt for benchmarking and future analysis.

My goal is to list my runs and note my mileage after the first seven weeks of my marathon training. State where I am in my marathon preparation. What have I done in those 7 weeks. Have I established a good and sufficient mileage base for the next 8 weeks of training? These crude numbers, left frozen but detailed, should give me some data to look upon for planning my future marathon training and schedule.

As a young marathoner, I have so few marathon training experiences. I will have to track every bit of my rough and unrefined training practices so I could evolve into a seasoned marathoner that I dream of becoming.

And so without anymore ado, I would like to list the training runs I have done so far.

Long Runs

I planned to progress slowly from 21km to 27km in seven weeks. I still follow the 2-week training strategy, so I ran the 21K distance in two consecutive Sundays and the 27K in my last two Sundays. I missed running the intermediate distance of 24K.

Week No.Distance (Km)Time (hh:mm:ss)Pace (min/km)Notes
1 211:55:005:29
2 211:57:545:37Did 3 Half Marathons in 3 Days
3161:13:404:37Missed 24K Long Run
4161:08:154:16Joined a 16K Race (Much faster pace)
5


Joined a 5K Race, Mileage Cutback
6272:44:236:06

7
272:38:175:52

Remarkable was the stamina difference between my first and second 27K long distance runs. I did the first in 2:44 and finished the second in 1:38 hours. On my first 27K, I was dead tired on the last five kilometers and was walking some parts of those last five. Two days after the long run, I was still feeling the tightness and fatigue on my leg muscles. I felt I wasn't ready yet.

On the following 27K long run day, I was more energetic and had much fresher and stronger set of legs even until the last 5 kilometers of the long distance run. A day after the long run, my legs were back to its strong form and I feel ready for an easy recovery run.

Easy Runs

Majority of my workout runs are in easy comfortable pace. Marathon is an endurance sports. I have to feel comfortable running long distances and Easy Runs were my key training workout.

Week No.Distance (Km)Time (hh:mm:ss)Pace (min/km)Notes
1 141:03:494:34
1141:04:214:36
1141:04:344:37
1141:08:264:54
290:40:454:32
370:37:095:30
3120:58:214:52
4120:57:094:46
4120:59:424:59
4120:59:484:59
5100:54:485:29
5100:53:395:22
5120:54:434:34
6121:05:045:26
6121:00:285:03
6121:03:195:17
7120:55:154:37
7121:01:445:09

I started my first week of running with four 14-kilometer easy runs a week. This was a huge leap from running 10-kilometer races and mostly 8-10 kilometers of Easy Runs on the first 11 weeks of year 2010. And whenever I slow down on the last 4 or 5 kilometers of these Easy Runs, I would just remind myself that speed is not the priority.. Just endure. Develop your long-distance stamina. Hang on.

Later on, as my marathon training progresses, I would cut my Easy Runs to 12 kilometers. I do cut it down to 10 kilometers on mileage cutback weeks. The shorter 12K Easy Runs are still designed to train my endurance and at the same time, keep my legs strong and fresh for the Tempo Runs and much longer weekend Long Runs.

So far so good. I am able to pile up my marathon base mileage with lots of easy maintenance runs. I can now run 10 kilometers more comfortably. Before doing these 12-14K Easy Runs, I struggled with my 10K races. I didn't feel strong enough. I was gassed out just after the 5-kilometer mark. The past few weeks, I am running my last few kilometers faster than the first 10 kilometers. All thanks to my improving endurance from running longer Easy Runs.

Races Joined While on Marathon Training

I joined some weekend races just to gauge how my marathon training is going. Am I able to run fast and strong past 10 kilometers? Am I able to run faster on a 5K race?

Week No.RaceDistance (Km)Time (hh:mm:ss)Pace (min/km)Notes
4Earth Run 2010161:08:154:168th Men's, 9th Overall
5Highlands-Mizuno50:17:32Unknown, Distance is Short3rd Place

Not much racing really. I was mostly cost-cutting (not spending much on races) and trying not to disrupt my weekend Long Run schedule. This still is my training outlook for the rest of my 8 marathon training weeks leading to Milo.

Weekly Mileage

Week No.Weekly Distance Ran (Km)Notes
1 77
2 72
3353-Day Bolinao Vacation
452
5 40Mileage Cutback
663
769

For those first seven weeks, I am happy to have ran a total of 408 kilometers. That's an average of 58.28 kilometers per week. I expect to raise these numbers in the next eight weeks as I brace for a more intense marathon training with a planned 57-96 weekly mileages.

Strength Training Sessions

For year 2010, one of my key improvement areas is my muscle strength. I am trying to strengthen my legs, upper body, arms and back. I actually bought my own set of dumbbell bars and steel plates. The internet and my previous years of gym membership guide my strength training program.

I do hope to prevent running injuries (especially on the knee area) by body building and improving my muscle strength. Just trying to attain muscle strength balance on my thighs and calves and chest and back. I am also improving my shoulders and arms muscle strength for those hours and hours of nonstop arm swing while running.

For this year, according to my Training Log, I have completed 42 strength training sessions. Thrice a week, I do different sets of strength training exercises targeting the following muscle groups:
  • Session One: Legs
  • Session Two: Chest and Back
  • Session Three: Arms and Shoulders

Core Drills

To keep my running posture and correct form for long distance running, I need a strong core. It is very difficult to keep running upright for hours without a strong powerful core. I have also read that turning lefts and rights, running uphills and downhills are all aided by the core muscles at work.

About 10-15 minutes per core drills session, I try my best to pile up 250 different abdominal crunches. I also added the superman, planks, bridges and side planks to complete my core workout. According to my Training Log, I have already completed 31 Core Drill sessions for year 2010.

Next Eight Weeks

For the next eight weeks, I would continue to train for the Milo Marathon. I expect those weeks to have a higher intensity with Tempo Runs and Pace Simulations. I will also have much longer weekend long runs up to 35 kilometers.

My Pace Simulation runs will aim to prepare me to execute my marathon strategy. A fast 4:15 pace for the first 10 kilometers, a 5:00 minute kilometer to recover, a steady 4:20 pace for the next 21 kilometers, and a tiring but still fighting 4:45 pace for the last 10.195 kilometers. I know that this is a very tough marathon pacing strategy so I am training very hard to be able to accomplish it. More details on this pacing strategy and simulation runs on my next blog entry.

The Core Drills and Strength Training sessions are still on the marathon training schedule for the next 8 weeks.

Right now, I am experimenting on my marathon food, energy and hydration supply. I tried Cloud 9 chocolates, bananas and hard boiled eggs on my first marathon run. For my second marathon, I am still on the hunt for the right combination of my much needed energy supplies while running. So far I have tried Choco Mucho, Vitwater, Cobra Energy Drink, Gatorade, Mineral Water, 100 Plus, Pocari Sweat, C2 Iced Tea, pandesal, Minute Maid orange juice, hot lugaw, pineapple and banana. (Combination of food and drinks tried and tested on separate long distance runs.)

1 comment:

  1. wow intense training plan! all the best on your run sa july4!

    ReplyDelete