TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Aug 6, 2010

And My New 1-Kilometer Best ...

Just this morning.. I woke up at around 5:20 AM for my scheduled training run. As usual for an interval training session, I was debating with my inner self if I need to do this run. Perhaps I can rest for the day and sleep for a few more hours. After all, rest is an integral part of the training. Right?

Then again, I don't want to miss my first 5x1Km speed workout run of a 13-week or roughly 3+ months of training cycle. [ Training for what? Let's keep it a secret for now. My short term goal is a sub-20 5K in week 5 or 6 and then a 40-minute 10K in week 9 or 10. If I can successfully do both, I will proceed with my secret training goal. ]

So off I went to the park. On my way there, I bought and consumed a P10-worth of hot "taho." I then stretched my arms, shoulders, legs, knees and ankles. Then a one-kilometer warm up run in 6:15 minutes. Still feeling a bit tight and uneasy to run at full interval speed, I ran for another kilometer warm up in 5:59 minutes.

Then it's time to break my 1Km course loop best of 3:40 minutes.

The strategy? Run like hell. Hehehe. Seriously, I wanted the first 200 meters at a relaxed but fast pace. The next 400 meters at my 8x400m interval speed. Then catch my breath for the next 100 meters. Lastly, finish the last 300 meters sprinting strong. I hope the strategy would be enough to smash 3:40 minutes today.

My legs understood its role. I went for the first 200 meters as fast and relaxed as I could as if nothing happened. I have to be as fresh as possible for the next 400. Of course, the strategy is always simple. The actual roadwork is much harder. But I did run as fast as I could.

I ran slow on the next 100 meters trying to catch my breath for a strong push to the finish. The last 300 meters, I was so tired and breathing so heavy already. But there's only 300 meters left and so I pushed myself hard and just focused on the next tree up ahead or the next parked car on the side of the road.

Reaching the last 100 meters.. I was almost about to stop and put a halt to this grueling nonsense. But I did not. I tried to sprint with longer much powerful strides. And then I hit the LAP button on my running watch.

3:37 minutes! Oh yeah. I knew I could do it. But not on the first try. This is just amazing. Yehey!!!

I followed the 1Km fast interval with a 400-meter recovery.

The next 1Km was 4:40 minutes. Perhaps I was still celebrating. Perhaps I am now so tired. Perhaps it's a combination of both.

On the third try.. I whispered to myself that this should be my best effort to try and reach the 3:30-minute mark. I know that my strategy worked. I just have to do it again.

And I did. 3:36 minutes! I beat 3:37 by the slimmest of margins. How happier can I get now? Hehehe. I was ecstatic. My training is now paying off. I'm getting to my top speed once again.

But I'm not done yet. Two more 1Km intervals to go.

I took the 4th interval as a breather. I finished it in 4:29 minutes. Then it's time for the last and final effort. I am so tired. I have already beaten my 3:40-minute best. Need I run the last one fast? Can I just have another breather?

No. I figured the last kilometer could be my fatigued-pace training run. And a mental toughness test. Could I still go for full speed at this fatigued-state? I have already ran 2 kilometers of warm up and about 6 kilometers of intervals+recovery. I felt I can't run much faster.

Still, I pushed for my limits and tried to strengthen my mind and battle fatigue. Last push!

I was like the drunken master on that last lap. Wow. I was too tired but had to sprint still especially on the last 100 meters approaching the 1Km mark. 3:37 minutes final lap!! Yey!

I went back to my bed and laid down for a while. I beat the 3:40 mark three times today. It's so special I feel like I'm dreaming. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment