TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Sep 9, 2013

My First True Long Run of 2013

I started hopeful, believing the 17-km long run to be another small step to my marathon comeback.
I ended up respecting the long distance all the more. I expected to take the run slow and easy and ended up running slower and hard.

Remembering the Route:
    I used to run the Aguinaldo highway up to Tagaytay to prepare for my marathons. And just being back to that route brings back all the memories. (It used to be a lot more fun then though, as this run was more of a reminder of how hard it is to run long distances).
    The hills look the same, just a lot tougher to climb.
    The speeding buses, jeepneys, motorbikes and private vehicles still dominate much of the road.
    The occassional cattle feeding on grasslands and the vast agricultural farms of Silang still fills my head with my hacienda dreams. I just love running on my municipal hometown every Sunday mornings.

Buko Stop:
    Gone are the days when I will buy energy drinks and hot pandesal in the middle of my long runs. No chocolates on the pockets either. And no backpack to carry home bread for the family.
    There is a better and more refreshing alternative - fresh buko (young coconut) juice along Silang Bypass Road. Manong would pick a buko from a large pile of coconuts while I breathe heavily after running 7+ kilometers.
    Buko is heavy on the stomach, though. And so it gives me a lot of time (or excuse) to just enjoy the beautiful plants and flowers for sale on the gardens on the sides of the Bypass Road while walking a few hundred meters.

Hard Part of the Long Run:
    After 11 kilometers, and running my way back down to Silang (coming from the uphills), I felt the fatigue and the body aches. It was over an hour of running and my knees, legs and calves started to complain.
    When you're heavy as I am (187 pounds lately), the legs just could not support the body as much as you'd like it to. The lungs are breathing hard, but still manages to do its part. The arms still sway like it could still handle the next kilometers. But the legs and knees are not too cooperative.
    I decided not to force the run and just inserted a few more walk-breaks into it. Even when running a full marathon, the hardest part is when you're just 5-10 kilometers away and you're legs are too tired. You just have to take the pain, get over it and find ways to push yourself forward. It's less fun and is physically taxing, but these portions of the run strengthens the mind and prepares you for the next battles. Slowly, I'm getting nearer and nearer back to our house and the mental and physical battle are starting to tilt in my favor. Just a little bit more and it'll be over.

After and Next:
    I came to church afterwards, still feeling the weak and fatigued knees. It's hard to stand and offer praises and worship unto the Lord Jesus Christ, but it's manageable.
    Wife massaged the aching shoulders, legs and calves from the 2-hour run. (Thanks a lot!) She makes my running so much more bearable, and still fun.
    Next week, I'll go with a 17-kilometer repeat. The plan is still to pile up mileage while rebuilding my aerobic base. Hang on with me on these tough times. And after a few more months, we would be running another marathon, prayerfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment