TULOY PO KAYO sa aking munting kastilyo.... WELCOME TO KASTILYONG LAPIS ....

Mar 18, 2011

Week #11: A Discovery of the Obvious

Dividing the Distance

I have set my eyes on the upcoming Globe 10 kilometer race. My childlike passion and desire to run as quick and as fast I could always wants and pushes my feet to go beat the clock. Last night's run was not an exemption.

After a 2-kilometer warm up run, this childlike passion took over. I sprinted, testing the limits of my still bulky overweight body. My 1-kilometer loop forms the number '8'. There a lot of corners dividing the loop into 100 and 200-meter segments. I tried to run these little segments in different running paces. A fast 200m, a recovery 100m, a faster-than-recovery 100m, a sprint on the next 200m, another recovery 100m, another fast 200m and then lastly, a race to the finish 100m.

On the first attempt to beat the clock, I stopped the timer at 3:43 minutes. The problem is, I had dug too deep into my oxygen reservoir and left absolutely nothing to continue on the next kilometer.

Discovering the Obvious

I decided to run the next loop on easy pace. I acknowledged what I have done wrong. My lungs have their limits. Somehow, someway, I must be able to find the pace to not deplete my oxygen tank. Just keep it busy but not reaching their limits.   

Then I tried another fast loop. My initial target for this kilometer is 4:10 minutes. On my mind, that is the same exact pace I want to run the Globe race so as to beat my 43:49 personal best on 10 kilometers.

Breathing deep at the start of the loop, I charged like a race horse. This time, a bit more controlled on my fast pace. Controlled, meaning, I must be aware of how I am breathing at the pace. If I'm panting heavily, I must slow down. If I'm breathing too comfortably, I can speed up. The aim is to keep the lungs busy but not tired. Keep my breathing in a fast-enough rhythm.

Good enough, I finished that fast lap in exactly 4:00 minutes. That's it. I found a hint as to what my race pace would be. I began to be a lot more excited. Like a torch burning brightly, my hopes for a fast 10kilometer race became alive. It is possible! I think I just have found a key element on my running pace.

I have blogged about the importance of STRIDES. To run fast, I must increase the frequency of my strides. I also know how arm SWINGS help me to run faster. My arms can force my tiring legs to move and follow the swings. Lastly, to help me focus and stay on my target pace, I try to divide the distance into smaller SEGMENTS. Just get to run the small 100 or 200meter segment. Do not think of the 1-kilometer as a chunk. Or the 5kilometer race or the 10kilometer race. Just focus on the small segments and run it according to plan. And then the next small segment. And then the next one. If I run the small segments according to my target pace, then I would have meet my target kilometer pace. Then If I could continue to run the next small segments, the next kilometer would also meet my target pace. Until I complete the entire distance / race.

Those are my simple elements of running fast. They all starts with the S, and should be easy to remember. Strides, Swings and Segments. Last night, I found that to sustain my pace.. I also need to breathe! How could I miss that?

I want to be fast, I don't want to crash.

Remember the 3:43, that was my best lap of the year. And then what? I can no longer follow it up on the next lap. I needed to breathe. When I go fast and beyond my oxygen threshold, I borrow oxygen from my blood equating to an oxygen debt. If I continue to be in this state, I would crash soon. The gas tank is not unlimited.

To resolve this problem, I tried breathing as fast as I could stride. Shallow fast breathing in sync with my arms and feet. I can go fast longer because I am not in an oxygen-debt state. I am breathing fast to support my oxygen need. The faster I go, the faster I breathe but shallow. During segments of recovery, I breathe slower but deep.

As already stated, I was able to run a comfortable 4:00 minutes on my 5th lap before I commenced with another easy lap. After 7 laps, I thought I am ready to put this new strategy to the test.

Strides, Segments, Swings, Breathe!

Going into the 8th, 9th and 10th kilometers of this training run, my childlike passion seems to wane. I felt my legs, particularly my calves, tightening and tiring. It's as if they are commanding me to just slow down and finish the run lackadaisically.

This time, the adult calculating experimental spirit within me came out to life. I only have a few runs left to test this breathing rhythm. I must tolerate fatigue, test my focus and desire. If I train my spirit to go out fighting, then I can only reap the benefits during race day. I must persevere.

After hitting the lap button on my Timex, I started to run the 8th lap. Fast but not exceeding the capacity of my lungs. Breathe faster! Stride frequently. Swing those arms freely and forget about the next few kilometers, just focus on the current segment. I was too happy inside. The experiment is working and is yielding good results.

I used to think that I needed to go back to 140-145 pounds before I can go back to my previous race pace. I am too heavy at 160, I cannot run as fast yet. My legs just can't carry me fast for long. The extra weight slows me down. Etc, etc.

Yet, here I was running 1:54 minutes on the halfway mark of the first kilometer of my experimental Tempo pace. This is fun!

3 Kilometers Under 12:30 Minutes

I cannot afford to lose focus though. I need to run the next segments according to plan. Swing, Stride.. Keep breathing relative to my speed. I hit the lap button registering 4:00 minutes flat on the first kilometer of the experiment.

Then I went on, repeating the mantra inside my head.. My Speed depends on my Strides, Swings and Segments.. And breathing! I took control of my pace, quick but sustainable. I was praying for strength and guidance. If it is just me, I would have stopped and go back to easy pace knowing I have basically tested what I wanted to achieve. But with an extra guidance, I wanted more. I wanted to fully utilize what I had. So I just keep on running.

I hit the lap button but did not look at the split time. I ran the third lap according to feel. Quick but within the limits of my lungs. I was tiring fast too. It is already my 10th kilometer, my singlet is all too wet and the sweat overflows on my arms and forehead. Yet I must focus and persevere. I only have a few training runs left before the 10Km race. I need to learn as quick as possible.

I was quick but not sprinting. That's my target pace for a sustainable fast run. I hit the lap button on my third and final fast pace of the training run. Two more easy loops followed and I completed the target 12kilometer training run.

Happily, before the static stretching to conclude last night's training.. I gazed at those 3 fast laps.. 4:00, 4:10 and 4:17.. It took me 11 training weeks, but it's all very rewarding. I look forward to consistently running at this sustainable fast pace for the following weeks and months. My adventure has just begun.

6 comments:

  1. good to be back man! Looking forward to race with you. haha! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bryan. Thanks for visiting my blog here. I am just as excited to race with you and the whole team! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope yo see you this sunday. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading your posts since last year. I admire your bravado. Mentally, you are tough. But your training and idea of how to improve needs a bit of tweaking.

    Visit us at:

    http://runningacademy.weebly.com/forum.html

    The site is just new, but hopefully you can get something out of it to help you improve.

    Good luck in your races!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Daves. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Failed to see you on the race, sana next time.
    Ok yung website mo, very detailed yung mga posts of upcoming race events.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Running Academy.

    Thanks for the compliment. :)
    And for reading my blogs.

    ReplyDelete